Has Anyone Been Drinking BerserkerDay Wines Lately?

I grabbed a case of Zepaltas Wines on Berserker Day. I liked.

• 2014 Zepaltas Cabernet Franc Pickberry - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (2/11/2017)
    Purple and blue fruited. Medium bodied good acidity, with ripe tannins. Definitely, new world fruit; no one will confuse with Chinon but it’s more restrained than a typical Californian CF and clocks in at 12.5% Abv. Ready now, but should drink well for a decade from vintage.

So awesome pouring for you and Jen, my friend! And glad you let me know you were coming up - it allowed me to bring in some freshly baked bread ( [cheers.gif] ) and samples of some future releases, including my Mourvedre Rose and my new aberration (100% cab franc; 100% whole cluster; aged in stainless steel).

And thanks for going on and on at Industrial Eats - I do appreciate it champagne.gif

The other berserker there was Gus Johnson, I believe, who resides in Austin, TX.

Cheers

We had a '10 Tercero The Climb over the weekend. Excellent Petite Sirah, Syrah blend. Had it next to an '11 Quixote Napa PS at 2X the price and The Climb was better, more complex.

Thanks Michael - that means a lot coming from you . . .

And I gotta believe that wine has a long life still ahead of it - glad I still have a good supply to last for awhile :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Good, I may have to get some more, but I want to try some of the others in the BD sampler pack first.

I finally got around to trying the 2012 Riverain Cabernet Sauvignon last week. I’m not normally a fan of big California cabs, but I really liked this. Rich but pure cabernet fruit that isn’t obscured by too much oak and spice, it has a nice acidity and a strong but ripe tannic foundation. Not much change the next day, it was still drinking very well. (93 pts.)

Opened a bottle of 2012 Dilecta The Tiller over a snowy weekend. No notes, but it satisfied. Tasty stuff.

Glad you enjoyed it!

1 Like

Had my first–the Harrington Corvina. So good I had to fight the urge to immediately seek out more. Rose colored but with the body of a light red. Reminded me of nothing I’d really ever had from California before, but something like an Arnot-Roberts Trousseau would be the closest cousin.

Have had three wines from the recent haul. Just some quick impressions:

Greyscale SB - Nice citrus (lemon / grapefruit) without the grassiness SB sometimes shows (and which I don’t care for).

DV8 G-Force - lighter color than many grenaches and with a medium body. Overall, a very nice not in your face wine.

Tercero Albarino - fairly deep golden color. First exposure t this variety. More body than many whites (and in line with Larry’s others that I have had) and a very nice wine. Will have to remember this for the future.

Thanks Bob. A little more ‘full bodied’ due to 1/3 fermented and aged in older French oak vs. 100% stainless steel.

Bottling up my 2016 next month - and pouring tank samples of it at Falltacular on Saturday :slight_smile:

Cheers

received a bunch this past week, had a lot of fun tasting new wines, all enjoyable:

-2014 Liquid Farm, golden slope chard. Crisp, good acidity – lemony. flavors of apple/pear. perhaps more defined by what it wasn’t, not the buttery/oaky California chard that I was used to. Really enjoyable with food.

-2002 Arcadian pinot noir, Francesca’s cuvee. subtle bricking in color, deeply dark-fruited nose, amazingly complex palate. still nice acidity and tannins but so balanced and smooth.

-2014 Briceland humboldt county pinot noir. initially closed but opened up a lot with air/time. cherries, subtle spice, nice acidity. fun to drink, definitely looking forward to seeing how the other bricelands do with time.

-2015 Sandler bien nacido pinot noir. initially closed as well, on subsequent days much more eloquent red/dark fruits, subtle spice. will also look forward to trying these with time/age as well

2012 Tercero Santa Barbara Mourvèdre. Showed best on day 3, but drank well from pop and pour. Red fruits that lean towards raspberry, spice and black tea.

2013 DV8 Cellars “Monaco” Syrah

Really enjoyable; glad I have a few more of their wines to taste through.

2012 Bougetz Amaryllis. Nice wine, good fruit, soft. I don’t view this as something to age. Fairly straightforward and I would score it mid-high 80’s. My first of these and looking forward to the 13 and 14; reviews promise more intense wines.

Had a 2013 Siduri Lingenfelder (spelling?) Pinot Noir from 2016 BD. Yummy.

• 2013 Random Wine Company Cabernet Franc - USA, Oregon, Columbia Valley (2/20/2017)
    Medium ruby with a spicy raspberry nose. Lightly dry with medium fruit and body showing a lot of restraint though not austere, old world in the Loire look-a-like category which means this is some good stuff that will hold it’s own with some of the best Chinon and Bourgiel. Great balance with the acid and tannins bracketing the fruit. Glad to have purchased a six pack this Berserker Day. Definitely a good food wine. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Dennis! I’m really liking where the 2013 is right now, and I am humbled by the comparison to the Loire, some of my favorite wines are made there. [cheers.gif]

had one tonight

great, if you like bigger white rhones, which I do.

2014 DV8 Cellars Viognier Victory Camp 4 Vineyard

Quite nice for fans of white rhones and vognier. Good nose of white fruits, apricot, melon. Rich and full bodied fruit flavors, slight bitter notes, solid mineral middle, good acidity (for viognier). Quite a nice bottle. This could go for several years and I think it would get better. Great QPR!

Opened an '08 Veleta Tempranillo the other night. It was really singing, this wine just seems to get better with the years. Great QPR too. Thanks, Nola!