Has the Wine Advocate basically given up at this point?

Indeed. A true Berserker would have doubled down.

I subscribed based on these comments!
(Not really but did recently subscribe to Jebā€™s site)

I read the Wine Advocate, Vinous, and Jeb Dunnuck
I figure if Iā€™m willing to spend $500 on a bottle of wine why not accrue some insights prior.

(Edited to correct an auto correct)

Finding a critic calibrated to your taste would be worth its weight in gold.

I find that some critics are more calibrated to my taste for certain varietals.
Itā€™s a personal thing.
Plus I like reading the articles etc. (the pictures are ok too)

Literally laughed out loud. Equally funny was how quickly he wussed out.

Looking forward to the realm reviews. Any plans for a bigger 18 Napa review soon? Lots of stuff coming up

This is such a quintessential WB thread. OP posits something moderately provocative, using a thread title that is much more hyperbolic than the actual post. Debate ensues, questions about the OPā€™s qualifications/sanity in making the mildly provocative statement come out, devolves info a fight over whether points and reviewers mean anything. Someone throws in an ad hominem bomb.

The only thing missing to date is the OP posting a follow up that they didnā€™t really mean what everyone else originally read.

dayum and the walk back is even more amusing. I donā€™t subscribe to Jeb, but when I see his notes I certainly get a clear feel for the wine and what I would expect from it

And the best part is, Jeb and Pat are both good dudes and would enjoy popping something together! Granted, we may need two bottles to account for preferences! Iā€™ll moderate.

Just give Jeb and your wife a bottle of Ovid and they wonā€™t bother you while youā€™re drinking the weedy stuff!

'Zackly - these wines are plugged in like Chateau Ste Michelle at the Wine Spectator. WE will make big, jammy, over the top wines (and release them in cool bottles with cool labels), YOU will give all of them 95+ ratings, and in five years, we will pretend they actually improved with age.

I really donā€™t blame the Wine Advocate for going in that direction because the bulk of their readers want over the top wines - there just needs to be a bit more distinction of their target audience.

I dunno, post-Covid I may be a Rolland man! Sense of smell not fully recovered yet. Itā€™s like dating all over again.

While it might be unreasonable to judge a publication based on a wine or two, it canā€™t be denied that unless reviews are released in a timely manner in relation to the winesā€™ availability in the marketplace, they lose their practical value and become little more than recreational reading. And I can think of entire regions and even countries (for some reason Germany comes to mind) that in the past only appeared in publication many months after the wines had been released. And wines with minuscule productions like many Burgs could be completely gone.

I donā€™t subscribe to WA any more, but I liked Luis Guitterezā€™s coverage of Rioja.

I have a hard time keeping up with all the stuff Iā€™m supposed to read, let alone the discretionary stuff like online wine notes!

100%.

Mywines will be along any day now.

What is ā€œMywinesā€???

The often promised but never delivered eBob alternative to CT. One of the publicly cited reasons they never agreed to CT integration was their own ā€œalmost thereā€ competing product. As relevant these days as MySpace, except there are those who swear that MySpace actually existed for a timeā€¦

So what Iā€™m wondering is whether anyone will really buy or not buy based on a review. All of the people on this thread have opinions on the various wines. Take Realm for example. If you know it and like it are you seriously going to avoid it because it got a few points less than last year? Or are you going to buy it because it got a few more points than last year?

Alternatively, since people profess not to care about points and prefer to read the reviews (see Johnā€™s Bingo thread), will anyone make or decline a purchase based on the presence of cast iron pans or whatever in the verbiage?

There are some decent writers and I can understand reading someone for his insights or comments on a region, vintage, etc., but that wouldnā€™t make one more or less relevant.

For many of the most avid wine collectors, ratings are not overly important but for the market in total, theyā€™re highly relevant. Ask the retailers. Iā€™m somewhere in between: there are some wines I buy every year and many others where I use critics help to narrow the field down. If 11 out of 14 critics scream at you that Margaux 2019 is special compared to many others in the vintage and compared to other vintages, Iā€™ll look at it.

[*]

candidate for post of the year. WK is brilliant in what he shares with us.