Have We Reached Peak Rosé?

Like down around absolute zero?

Greg- yes, it is. Funny you mention Michigan rose. My wife had her 2 Lads hat on the other day and we both reminisced about their rose of Cab Franc, which is one of our favourites from the US.

The Mateus of which I had two sips (Hugh Johnson rating scale, “disbelief”) was utterly dire, which is not what I recall from forty or fifty years ago. I’m trying to figure out which possible reason applies:
A. Memory defect on my part
B. Winemaker replaced by incompetent industrial chemist.
Does any one else have recollection of Mateus from the sixties or seventies.

Damm, I missed the peak?

I haven’t had the current iteration of Mateus. From half a century ago, I remember it as insipid sweet swill. Can’t imagine it’s gone downhill unless they’ve taken out the alcohol.

Dan Kravitz

Sounds like it’s option A for me then. My recollection is more on the harmless side. Thanks for the reality check.
My recent two sips would add confection and soda pop to the palette, and less of the insipid.
Enough on this I think.

This is a bit anecdotal, but in several higher end grocery stores, which used to have a reasonable selection of good quality rose options, now seem to have almost all gimmicky or crap domestic rose. “Mr. Pink” and the like, and only one or two of the type of rose that I would buy.

Granted this is anecdotal, and grocery store versus wine store, but in this case the good “real” rose is getter crowded out by the crap.