Have you received your DRC Allocation?

I don’t see why this poster deserves the kind of snark he’s gotten in response to a reasonable question, when half of this message board gets a collective hardon over spending $300-500 on whatever burg or n. rhone is fashionable at the moment. Nothing pretentious about his post, let him buy what he wants even if it’s not one of your sacred cows.

Another guy up for the 250 post test. I’m remarking on the nature of the internet.

In California it’s around June. Nothing yet here. I’m guessing prices rise again based on what my friends on the private client list for WD have said

Perhaps you have heard of this thing called the Internet.

Rauno, thanks for the info about 2017. Curious because from what I understand yields were 30 hl/ha, so above average. Definitely no 2016, but I was told by one retailer they’ve never received any Montrachet. It all goes to the restaurants.

Thanks for the info! Didn’t know the distributors allocated differently around the country. Any info on prices you paid last year would be interesting to compare.

those should be well under 4 figures. especially the corton.

Thanks. So what did you pay this year or last? Sub $900?

i don’t have an allocation but i would take the prices you see on wine-searcher with a grain of salt.

that sounds fair-ish and is a decent starting point.

Yes. Wine-searcher is, by definition, wines they have not sold. It’s a useful tool but often it’s not a reliable indicator of market price.

Who’s talking about WS? I’m talking about what I paid on an allocation from a retailer direct from WD. Is there a retailer in the US selling Corton for $650? I’d love to know and that’s the whole point for starting this thread. If my stores are gouging me and other stores are giving their customers better prices I want to know so I can go talk to them.

well it appears you paid a price that is more in line with what you would expect to see listed online, hence why i brought up wine-searcher. usually for these types of wines, if a merchant is selling at a standard markup, it would never be listed online. i can’t help you with exact numbers, and i have no idea what vintages you purchased, but even the price i referenced is likely a bit high. i simply referenced it to show a member here purchased a bottle of the 14 vintage from k&l wines in california roughly six months ago. hope this helps.

You think $650 is high? Just trying to understand where you’re getting that idea? I do appreciate linking to that post as that poster got an incredible deal that even he acknowledged.

Andrew, did you mean $1400 for both Ech & Corton, or each?

i believe that is a bit high for corton, but within reason. a restaurant by me was selling several vintages of corton for around $500. they had a standard 2x markup on their list. i think that should give you some insight what the approximate wholesale cost is.

I would be shocked if restaurants got DRC Corton for $250/btl. That said, I know that a huge % of the Corton goes to restaurants. I’m also a big fan of the Corton. I feel like it gets overlooked as the new kid on the block, and b/c so much ends up in restaurants, but I’ve had a few vintages and each has been superb and up to DRC standards.

i am sure it is definitely higher on the most recent releases, but even if it is $350 at cost, fair retail would be about $450.

If the Corton was marked up twice to $500, the wholesale price would be $166.67.

Last year retailers were offering “library” release ech and corton (2014) for $1400-1600. I think most people passed. I got offers up much below that in the last couple of weeks.

As much as you want, I don’t think most people are going to talk about the pricing they get for DRC or any of the really blue chip stuff on allocation.

this is one of the major problems in wine commerce in my opinion. transparency creates a fair market.