Hawaii Big Island rec?

A quick report after returning from the trip albeit earlier than planned:

We ate at Merriamn`s Market Market Cafe in Waikaloa on our first night before getting settled nearby in our condo. Our condo set up was quite special. Quiet, private and classy with a large pool, walking paths and golf course views.

The condo was located within a gated community and surrounded by 2 golf courses, Waikoloa King`s and Beach courses, and for which I had special rates for as an occupant of a condo that had golf privileges. Decent golf at more than reasonable rates, $50 and $75, considerably less than normal. Reservations at Mauna Kea and Mauna Lani GCs were aborted as we left earlier than expected.

Great snorkeling at a beach called 69s by the locals and near Mauna Lani. It is a somewhat small beach perfect for setting up a day camp. Another nearby and nameless beach was great for body surfing, my style.

I had contacts at the Four Season`s which could have included golf and dinning, but did not go for it.

Due to some family logistical issues, we left early from our intended stay.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Thought I would update this thread by reporting that we ate at ULU earlier this week. Food, service and location were exceptional, right on the beach with a great view of the sunset. As expected it was not cheap - for 4 of us (3 drinkers) the tab was $460 pre-tip; that included bottled water, 3 glasses of Prosecco, 3 glasses of wine (1 x '11 Chateau Montelena Cab at $29…), 3 apps, 4 entrees and 3 desserts + coffee. The Kona coffee steak (very tasty) was $55, double lobster tails $48, daily catch around $35. Good variety on the wine list (you can find it online), it looked like the markup was around 2.5X-ish based on the ones I am familiar with. Overall a worthwhile and memorable splurge for us.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum I can heartily recommend (1) Green Flash Coffee on Ali’i Drive, super smoothies, sandwiches and coffee (can be a little slow) and (2) Da Poke Shack also on Ali’i, great variety of super fresh poke (always a line).

Also, if anyone is looking for a VRBO house rental in Kona the place we stayed was perfect, well-equipped, and the owner was really flexible and accomodating: VRBO #445845

We’re going in a couple of weeks. Staying at a condo for 6 nights in Kailua-Kono and then at the Marriott Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa for 4 nights. Any updates on dining and activities appreciated!

Jay,

Was just in Waikoloa area for 3 weeks in January. Not much to add to what people have said already other than to add for dinner/music:

The Blue Dragon in Kamuela. The food is stupid good for what it costs and they have great music on Thursday-Sunday (Friday and Saturdays have the best bands IMO.)

Also, while in Kona, take a drive up the hill to Holuakoa Gardens Cafe in Holuakoa. Great outside place under a huge banyan tree with excellent food.

If you plan on cooking while in Kona and have a hankering for blood, the butcher in the Foodland in Wiamea has Prime Parker Ranch Angus and will cut to order.

The Hualalai Grille at the Four Season’s is still called Alan Wong’s Hualalai Grill but I don’t think he has anything to do with the food other than the name. They have changed to a steak house, and while good, not worth the tariff IMO.

Both the Canoe House and Manta have gone a bit downhill and the food is spotty.

Best restaurant/food on the Island, bare none, is Merrimans. Just go, you will not regret it.

Within walking distance from the Marriott is Roy’s. Predictable, but the food is still excellent IMO.

Thanks Dale!

Stay one night at the Volcano House and eat in their restaurant. I had a PHENOMENAL meal there.

A car is an absolute must have.

The best hiking is probably around either the Wiamea Valley or Volcano National Park/Hilo. Other than the Volcano House Hotel, there really isn’t any lodging around unless you stay in Hilo.

There is no place to stay in Wiamea, but the closest resort down the hill is Mauna Kea or The Fairmont Orchard. From Wiamea, you can also easily get to the road to Mauna Kea and the observatory. While I haven’t hiked around there before, have talked to others who have with positive reviews. See my post above for Food recs.

If you like coffee ask Lee & Karen Paterson of Hula Daddy Kona Coffee for a cupping. Very similar to wine tasting but with coffee. Email: huladaddy@huladaddy.com website: www.huladaddy.com . Their pea berry Kona Coffee is excellent.

Bumpity bump for 2019… anyone with updates or new suggestions? I’m heading out there with my family soon!

Even though the lava is no longer flowing, a visit to the volcano park is well worthwhile.

Rent kayaks and snorkel gear and paddle out to the Capt. Cook monument. You can’t go ashore unless you hike down a long hot trail, but you can snorkel from your kayak without touching land.

Don’t even think of heading up Mauna Kea unless you have a genuine off-road capable vehicle, not some punky pretend SUV.

Bumping up for 2020. Going back to the Big Island in a few weeks for the first time in several years.

Any current restaurant recommendations? Is Merriman’s still good?

Merriments’s may have lost a little shine vs 10 years ago but is still the best on the island IMO. The Blue Dragon is finally open after a 3+ year closure.