Hawaiian island to visit

For north shore Kauai, if you are not looking for big surf) it is most definitely late May early June, September, early October.

Water calm , weather great, mangos in May. Don’t go when schools out for summer, it’s crowded.

A little more rain in May then September but usually just a short squall. Late October starts big surf on the North Shore. Water can be treacherous if you aren’t super experienced. The South side is calmer then.

Went in April once, 5 solid days of rain on the north shore.

1 Like

Yes. [snort.gif]

I think I’ve visited dang near every month of the year at this point. I find something I like about every time I visit.

We loved Kauai. Loved it. We stayed in Wainiha on the beach. I could easily park myself there for 6 months at a time.

Only downside was road btwn Hanalei and Princeville had slid and was sporadically open due to repairs.

Kauai in December was nice.
Caught a fish

Took a few hikes

Saw some turtles
86B22BA9-FCCE-4843-AB1D-E7AA4C5CB81A.jpeg
B514E88F-A5DE-4121-A9CD-8C0B00EA15A3.jpeg
747065E5-422E-42E5-98A6-51FE7A97E531.jpeg

Does anyone ever go to Honolulu?
We’re doing big island (Waikoloa) next Sep and are considering adding a city week.
Thoughts?

I’ve done it 3-4 times. Couple for work. Couple for pleasure although not full weeks. I go to Oahu mostly to visit and re-visit some of the sites like Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, etc…but mostly for the food scene. There used to be a fairly decent wine lovers group on the island and we’d hook up for BYOB. Plenty of great food, wine an sights.

I still mostly go to Kauai which I consider to be my second home and where I have friends.

1 Like

Not sure I would want to spend a week in Honolulu, but Oahu is a nice island, and we were surprised at how easy it is to drive around the whole thing. Lots of cool areas to see, including the Lanikai beach area, Diamond Head, North Shore beaches and town, Hanauma Bay, etc. We had a couple of decent dinners in Honolulu, the best of which was called Piggy Smalls, which I would recommend but not something that is going to blow you away.

1 Like

Michel’s at the Colony Surf was very good 3 years ago.

I lived in Honolulu for 5 years and my last visit to Waikiki was very disappointing because it is just so touristy with all the high end shops. I do like the Kahala resort, where we stayed, and Lanikai is beautiful although it has lost a lot of beach. Unless you go to pay respects to those at Pearl Harbor or a few of the other sights, I’d pass.

First time I ever ate lobster was at Michel’s in 1969.

When I had work there, I did.

Great restaurants but it’s a city. If I was going to Hawaii for another 20 times, I’d still skip Oahu.

Yes it’s lovely, but not half as lovely as any other of the islands.

+1 on this. Pearl Harbor and a few other sites are great visits, but can be done in a day or two. Unless you love people and shopping, I would go to any other island (Big Island and Kauai being my favorite two).

We’ve been to the Big Island (mostly Waikoloa) and Maui the most, but after that, Oahu. Not sure about a whole week, but Waikoloa is relatively rural, so probably nice to get to somewhere more developed if that is what you want. Maui (Lahaina, Kaanapali, and even Wailea) is more developed, but not nearly as much as Honolulu. As others have said, there are areas in Oahu that are less touristy, like the North Shore.

Depending on how long you are on the Big Island (and who you are traveling with), maybe nice to have a change of pace. Our kids have liked changes during their Hawaii vacations.

I’m not a fan of Honolulu. One day to hike up top and see Pearl is enough. I do like the North Shore, though.

Thnx all—here is the short/long story.
When we got married in ‘85, being young and gullible, we bought a timeshare.
The summer that Kyser, the booze hound was preparing to turn 8, we banked our points because he was “old” (lived that summer and seven more). [cheers.gif]
So now we have a bazillion points. I found back-to-back weeks next September in really nice facilities, one in Waikoloa, and one in Waikiki, right by the beach walk.
I’ll have washer/dryer and full kitchen in both places. We’ll take our golf clubs. We’ll be newly retired.
We like the idea of a country week and a city week; I guess we’ll see.
We MIGHT add a short stay on Kawaii before we do Waikoloa, although I’m not so sure about carting the clubs so much.
I’ll keep pumping you all for info I’m sure!

Mitch’s Fish Market on Sand Island for killer sushi, Halekulani hotel at sunset for good drinks, live music, and a legit hula show. Manoa Valley is beautiful, Bishop Museum is interesting. My Dad was stationed on the Missouri when he was young and is now a docent there, although he’s 88 now, so not sure how often. Depending on the time of the year, you can either watch amazing waves on the north shore (winter), or scuba dive those same beaches in the summer. Don’t miss Rainbow Drive Inn for the best plate lunches!

1 Like

And Tamashiro Fish Market for every kind of poke you can imagine.

1 Like

Two times in Hawaii we bypassed Oahu on the way in thinking we could use a long layover to do that; our flights were delayed and we could never make it. So the last time over I booked three nights in a semi-rural condo with a fantastic, panoramic view on the northeast side, we did the touristy things, ate some nice dinners in town, and had some good casual meals closer to home. It’s not what we’ll do when we go back, but the family enjoyed it and we’re glad we did it.

We managed to score/add a week on Kauai. It’s just north of Lihue; we can drive to other spots on the island.
Wailua golf course is practically next door and it’s a super cheap muni.

Anyone have a fave Napali tour?
Boat or helicopter?