HDH Burgundy Auction

Based on the Auction video, it would appear that HDH only employs white guys. I may have missed someone, so please feel free to correct me. But, uh, um, yeah.

Maybe only white guys applied to hdh?

How about we return to discussing the event instead of racial hiring practices of wine auction houses?

Paddle #1240 seemed to be outbidding everyone later in the afternoon on certain producer’s lots, particularly Bonne Mares.

That was really something, it was like watching Burgundy price escalation/explosion in real time. Assuming those prices are without the vig, the six bottle lot implies a price of $800 a bottle and the mixed lot implies a price of like $300-$350 for the 2010.

My presumption about crazy Burgundy prices is they are about a few buyers so rich they doesn’t care about money intersecting with a very limited supply, as soon as just a few of those buyers get an urge for some specific wine the price explodes, here you could see it happening.

Got to say, I am extremely skeptical that Lafarge C d C, while a great wine, is actually higher quality than many other wines that sell for half those prices…

Not much that a $1200 stimulus check will pay for, I’m afraid :smiley:

The auction summary email was…disheartening.

“The two day sale brought in $7.6 million against a pre-sale estimate of $4.8-7.3 million. Bidders from five continents participated and 62% of the lots sold at or above the high end of the estimates. All of the 2,513 lots sold, and many set new world records.”

You cannot tell me that everyone buying in this auction plans to drink these wines. I guess speculating on gold has gotten boring. What next, Bourgogne Leroy 2004 at $2,000.00 a bottle? It is hilarious in a way if the world economy tanks and some of these bidders say “What was I thinking?”

this is gonna be like the 1st world problems version of the guy stuck with 10 grand worth of toilet paper he can’t return

Next: Bordeaux futures follow oil futures.

I’m looking forward to being paid to take delivery of bordeaux.

Looks like the auction market is still doing just fine based on the HDH auction that started today. Activity not quite as robust as the burg auction (as evidenced by the somewhat faster pace today) but still quite strong.

Keep your tinder dry.

how’d it end up?

I didn’t follow it but did put in some absentee bids and went 0-fer by a pretty wide margin on most.

I put in for low end bids on some, got BAGELED.

Checked to see the price they went for, they averaged 20%-50% over retail! [wow.gif]

collectibles market in general has been strong.

Michael Jordan rookie cards have doubled in value in a month

I did similarly and realized something was up when a six pack of 2007 Graham’s Port went for $500 before fees! It’s available in multiple places at retail for $450 or less.