help: delving into off-site storage

Peyton - a lot depends on what your rationale is. If you want to keep things and drink them with some age, the distance to your facility doesn’t matter so much. If you want to have options when you’re thinking of what to have with dinner, you want your wine close at hand.

For only a few hundred bottles, I wouldn’t pay for storage. You can drink those in a year. So you’re only worried about excess heat in the summer. In that case, keep the AC on all the time or get a used cabinet if you need to. But again, if you want to keep them for 15 years because you know you like them with some age, then just go for cost.

Anyhow, that’s my 2 cts.

Peyton,

See if there are any not wine-specific refrigerated storage companies nearby, such as used by agricultural suppliers, drug companies, etc. You might be able to rent some space for a reasonable fee.

Do folks in general use generic warehouse storage, or are most people using Domaine or other Wine-Specific storage? Any issues with a more generic, temperature controlled warehouse?

Folks here in Houston are using generic storage with wine lockers. There are a few of them around Houston. On of them is a U-Haul franchise. They have backup generators and other important things for us folks in hurricane country.

Isn’t there a problem with lack of humidity in generic cold storage warehouses? I would think it would just be like a large generic refrigerator, which is cold but low in humidity.

John

I really don’t know that much about the tech specs of storage facilities (wine or otherwise), but I think that too low humidity wouldn’t be good for some produce (like apples).

My home wine cabinet doesn’t do anything in particular to keep the interior at a specific humidity level.