Help me construct a Northern Rhône horizontal?

That’s a good idea imo. Might also be better value for money than Hermitage.
Gonon is quite pricey (more than a lot of Cornas and Cote Roties now…) but you have a lot of other solid options such as Coursodon, Chave (pricey), Gripa (Le Berceau), Montez (Cuvee du Papy), Curtat (Nomade), and many more.
For Crozes, I would add Domaine des Bruyeres (Les Croix VV) and Combier (regular bottle or Clos des Grives).

This is why I suggested his Iles Feray rather than the St. Joseph. The 17 is gorgeous. I think the Faury would be the best substitute anyway.

Iles Feray is harder to find than the St Joe! Only thing on Wine Searcher is the 2017 at $75! Insane. I’ve had it. Pass. Not at anywhere near that price.

Really? I’d have bought more then! :slight_smile:

The funny thing is, I’ve been allocated a nice chunk of both for years, but since around 2015, my allocations got cut, and I get more St Joe than the Iles Feray!

Take it all and stop buying all of that green Chinon and disloyal gamay!

Chambers St is a good place to source in this region, if you can get shipping from them.

There are good suggestions above, but I feel some are a bit much if this is supposed to be an intro to region.

It’s like someone saying “I’d like to try beef” when I would respond to “start with a burger”

Some of the names are more on the steak tartare kind of suggestions for an intro to beef.

Sheez, you starting to sound like Fu now! Have a killer bottle of 2017 Thivin open right now.

Am willing to believe it’s poisonous, certainly! (I do buy some Chinon now and then myself :slight_smile:)

How about Domaine du Colombier for Hermitage? It’s a great value (for Hermitage at least), and can hold its own against everything but Chave.

2016 Faury VV St. Joseph $40
2016 Rostaing Ampodium Cote Rotie $65
2016 Chave Farconnet Hermitage $75
2016 Clape Renaissance Cornas $80

I agree - had the 2003 sort of recently - and loved it. But it does get some wood IIRC.

I like their Crozes too, but the Gaby is kind of hard to find.