Help me fill my last minute Napa itinerary

+1

Free tasting and if you are serious and into wine and start up a discussion, there is usually some library vintage open on the back shelf that they will happily pour for you. :wink:

We went to Heitz and the wines were great. Also consider Chimney Rock on the Silverado Trail, some really good wines there and the place is beautiful. Schramsberg has a wonderful tour.

I agree with the Turnbull recommendations. You may not have time, and they may not have availability, but we’ve enjoyed Gargiulo. I’m not staring at a map but think it would be convenient for your route and schedule.

Thanks for all the suggestions, we decided to go to Heitz, and it did not disappoint. Unfortunately, due to the laws of the universe, we had a missed connection with Jean Edwards. However, they were perfectly gracious, and my party was pretty happy with the Pokemon they caught in the area.

Here’s a brief notes of some of the wines we tasted:

Heitz: This is a lovely little estate. The servers were polite and informative, and they poured quite a few library selections in addition to the normal tasting.

2015 Sauvignon Blanc: This was the favorite white wine of my group. Lots of tropical fruit and citrus on the nose. Lovely racy acidity and minerality on the palate. A perfect summer wine.

1998 Martha’s Vineyard: I know that '98 has been much maligned, but Heitz was able to dry out their grapes before harvest. The result is an elegant Cabernet that stands in stark contrast to the brawny beasts you find at the local wine shop. Silky and supple, it goes down easy. Sweet blueberries and plums on the palate. Light wafts of dried flowers, plums, and tobacco on the nose. Just a nice wine. And a great deal at $110 a bottle from the library.

2010 Martha’s Vineyard: Drinking very much younger than the '98, this wine is fresh and youthful, and hasn’t lost its grippy tannins.

Alpha Omega: This is where my wine journey began. This is where Cabernet made sense to me. My first club and also the first one I dropped. I had not been by in a couple of years, and boy, has it become popular since those early days. But, my expansive Pokemon hunting party still received wonderful service.

2015 Sauvignon Blanc 1155: Classic 1155. Minerally, crisp, and refreshing. Still one of the best Sauv Blancs out of the Valley.

2014 Chardonnay: In a nutshell: Butter popcorn jelly bellies in the best possible way. Popcorn, toffee, baked apples, and lemon curd. This iteration has a bit more green apple acidity than the previous vintages. Steep at $72/bottle.

2014 Grenache & Syrah: 60/40 blend of Grenache and Syrah sourced from Napa Valley. Well made, fruit forward, and made in a modern style. Drinks dominantly of Syrah. Almost none of Grenache’s typical notes are present. Mindbogglingly expensive at $92/bottle. This wine reminded me of why I dropped off of the mailing list.

2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Missouri Hopper: Barrel sample. And this wine reminded me of why I love Alpha Omega. Powerful, yet subdued. Fruity, yet restrained. Clearly unfiltered, there were still little grapey bits in the wine. If this wine was an entertainer, it would be the finest of ballet dancers. Man, what a beautiful Cabernet.

2014 Cabernet Sauvignon To Kalon: Barrel sample. If the Missouri Hopper were a ballet dancer, this is Misty Copeland. I bought a three pack.

Thanks again for all the help.