Help Me Understand A Wine Critic: Josh Raynolds (Vinous)

I consider myself the expert on Tulsa burger joints thank you very much.

Josh is from the Tulsa area. A lot of his family is still there.

Yes. And I stand by my comment. :slight_smile:

:grinning:

I discovered his work at Vinous and although not a Rhône fan I really enjoyed reading it. He’s good at Beaujolais too and I discovered several producers thanks to his reviews.
Another critic with excellent taste in music, he just seems like a thoroughly good bloke.

Hopefully, not an area where I will be needing expertise. neener

Adam, any chance you’ll be recording this?

1 Like

I will and will post it on my YouTube Channel. I’ll post a link here afterwards if that is okay.

Adam Lee
Clarice Wine Company

Please do

I live in Tulsa. One of my sons lives on burgers. So, we’ve spent a lot of time visiting any and all restaurants in the area that serve a burger.

Did you know the burger was invented in Tulsa? Or, at least a claim has been made? Was the hamburger invented in Tulsa?

Because you don’t like good burgers or you won’t ever visit Tulsa? newhere

Given all of this enthusiasm, I would love more comments on understanding Josh’s palate and how to interpret his reviews!

I love a good burger. I just don’t see there being a big likelihood of me visiting Oklahoma. I am retired now so do not see going there for work. Don’t have any friends or family there. Don’t see it as a place that is warm enough for me to want to spend time there in the winter. Never heard of it being an airport hub where I would even change planes there. Sorry, don’t have anything against the place but unless we decide we want to get to all 50 states, it is not a likely place we will be visiting.

Josh knows and loves elegant, complex, intense and ageworthy wines. He will still give high scores to wines I bet he is not necessarily a personal fan of if he feels they are still well made. I think you can often times read into his notes and get a sense of his personal enthusiasm for a wine. Knowing Josh I do know that not every wine he gives some 92 or whatever score to does he love. I’m sure that is true with every critic. Regardless of what one feels about his scoring I think you can get a good sense of the wine by the way he writes about it.

No offense taken!

It’s a great place to raise a family but it’s no tourist destination.

1 Like

What IS it about Tulsa and wine – the oil? I knew someone from there who was knowledgeable about wine.

Sounds like a reason to visit, if you ask me. You’ve got all the time in the world to rid yourself of preconceived notions.

1 Like

There are a lot of winos here. Old oil money with a lot of east coast influence is probably the primary reason. Gil Nickel of Far Niente and Nickel & Nickel is also a big reason. He was from the area and I think that connection led to many picking up wine and then expanding their knowledge.

In case any of you all wanted to see the interview with Josh Raynolds but weren’t able to make it last night, it is now published on my YouTube Channel: A Zoom Discussion with Vinous Wine Writer Josh Raynolds - YouTube

Thanks,

Adam Lee
Clarice Wine Company

2 Likes

Cross reference to an earlier, similar thread started by Sh@n:

Wine critic palate guide (2020)