Help Me Understand a Wine Critic: Tom Hill

I almost typed Hoot-Smalley but my inner historian made me revert to the other. Good to know.

I had forgotten the 4 vines @ 18.7% ABV. I think that is key to its longevity both as a wine and as a legend.

That Google turned up:

Different TN… different btl probably. This is the TN Stevenson saw.
Tom

For some time I misinterpreted the short/boring as a wine descriptor. What an unlucky guy, I thought, every wine he tastes is short and boring… newhere

Tom who?

I’m always waiting for that unicorn long/exciting note!

A laughter spurted out of my face

I always read Tom’s tasting notes.

3 Likes

Me too. And I really have little interest in the wines themselves. Weird.

Hah. Same.

I want to read them and to learn from them, and Tom seems like a great guy and a good source of information about wines that would be of interest to me, but being honest, I can’t usually fight my way through the writing style. I wish I had some kind of TomHill Google Translate or something.

That may reflect more on me than on Tom, and if so, I accept that.

1 Like

I have Tom on ignore - I’ve found that makes his notes even shorter and much less boring.

I refer to Tom as “The Legend”. Seriously, one of the nicest most informed wine geek you will ever meet.

I’m lucky to call him a friend.

Tom

While I still find his tasting notes hard to process, I really appreciate the BloodyPulpit that appears along with each note. Very educational.

I always worry that I’ve ventured into the obscure when I see a note from Tom on a wine I’ve bought/tasted :wink: Always appreciate the notes and pretty happy when I do know what the hell you’re actually talking about Tom!

Tom has been around so long that if he notes “dust” in a tasting note, it’s his own palate.

champagne.gif champagne.gif

(I love Tom, just in case it needs to be said.)

Hardly. It’s the bones of his long-perished enemies.

That is the funniest thing I have heard all day.

FIFY [wink.gif]

1 Like

There once was Tom Hill the Alamos’t
Whose notes on Berserkers were followed-most
He tasted some wine
Some he thought was divine
The rest was destined for pulpit-toast

1 Like