Help Me Understand Critic Jancis Robinson

I wouldn’t assume the wines themselves are all that consistent from EP barrel samples to finished, bottled wines. A lot of critics probably make it seem that way because they don’t taste blind.

1 Like

That’s an excellent point about blind. I recall some discussion about EP in particular.

Also regrading EP scores vs on release…. I think in some cases the blend may not be final.
Anyone who buys on simple score alone is riding for a fall IMHO.

1 Like

Or maybe she’s just not good enough to anticipate how the wine will be in the bottle when tasting it En Primeur while other critics have these capabilities.

I see that with many of her ratings, not just Bdx EP that she suddendly tells you after 20 years that you should have bought it on release and it’s now a 19 or 20 points wine (vs the 17 she gave on release) - at least the others try to asses the peak potential of each wine.

1 Like

as posted elsewhere, its not whether the sample is consistent, but if you buy a wine that’s scored 97-99 and it suddenly drops to a 91, you’d be cheesed off whether you buy on points or not really. I find most critics have pretty consistent scores, often ending up at the top end of their initial EP range.

When there’s little correlation between barrel and bottle score, then it makes the exercise of the critic pointless from the scoring perspective. It’s still great to have their notes and view, but in terms of judging quality, its useless. and, by extension, I personally buy EP wines that are likely to sell out and increase in price - having their opinion in EP is thus useless for many people. If JR is the one critic whose palate aligns to yours, then its fine, but for other people…

I am a believer that mathematics is the key to understanding the universe but what the hell does math have to do with tasting wine!?

I guess I wasn’t clear. I’m saying the EP barrel samples might be quite different from the finished wines.

Yep, I get that, but as Andy points out, one of the key things is the ability to forecast this and account for it. All the other critics can score fairly consistently for the most part.

It’s rather a shame that a discussion on Jancis is dominated by a discussion about points, given that other critics make a much bigger deal about their score, and especially their ‘100 point wines’.

Perhaps time to get back to the thrust of the OP in this series of threads, and focus on what types of wines she favours / doesn’t favour.

Someone once observed that the scoring scales reflect the school grading systems of the critics’ native lands.

UK education doesnt score out of 20.

I agree. Haven’t read enough of her TNs to have a good sense of her tastes. One issue is that a lot of what she reviews is not very available in the US, IIRC. And I haven’t paid for a sub, so I just see her notes in wine ads. Writes very fluently, which is a plus.

I’m with you here. The A-D scoring system is easier to decipher and compare. I can appreciate the difference between an A+ and A- more than 98-92.

I’ve read some of her work (Wine Atlas, Companion etc.) and don’t really grasp what she might specifically like that others might not. Maybe she’s better at telling the story of a region, or an estate, than articulating what’s in the glass that might matter.

I find that Rosemary George is similar in this manner, although she’s not a critic (that I know of).

Yep. Love her notes. She’ll call a wine “skinny” or “mean” and I’ll get it. She says more in a sentence or two than most do in an extended paragraph of ridiculous fruit salad associations.

As for supposed inconsistency, it might, just might, mean she’s honest about what she’s tasting in the glass in that moment. Nothing more, nothing less. And you’ve got to respect that.

4 Likes

Sure, when I taste my wines, I score what I have in my glass. When it’s young or going through an awkward phase I can score a wine 90pts only to score it 15 years later with 97 pts… just because it was drinking on these levels at different points in time. As a critic however, you have to be able to look through this muted and awkward phases in order to be helpful for your subscribers. It doesn’t help me, when she tells me 15 years later that now it is good and I should have bought it 15 years earlier. A critics job is to tell me what peak drinking will look like.

18.5 is better than 18 flirtysmile

The 20 p scale is much more compressed, half points have to be used, and even xx.5+ to express preferences.

92/93 points may not be consistently repeatable, but neither are 18/18.5 … and a serious professional taster will have consistantly rate one wine better than another … provided same age and condition …

dont forget with the 20 point thing you now get ++, so you can do 18.5, 18.5+, 18.5++, 19
I may have even seen some X-, which i dont know wtf that means, is 19- better than 18.5++?

Why not add 18.25 to the mix? [wow.gif]

You can’t score to two decimal places unless you have a palate calibrated to three. Gotta deal with those measurement accuracy issues.

Actually that scoring system brings back bad memories of my college days… I was an undergrad in Civil Engineering at the University of Minnesota. For one of my electives I took a 500 level Statistics class, Applied Regression Analysis. The class consisted on 1 undergrad student (me) and 10 graduate level students who were all working at 3M in their Quality Control division. I felt like I was in little league competing against major leaguers. I flunked and got an F. Ouch. Oh well I recovered. When I took a similar class in graduate school at the University of Washington I got an A… LOL

champagne.gif