Help-Willamette Trip

I would not miss Bergstrom, and consider Iota. There is a cajun restaurant in Mcminnville that was amazing.

I will begin tasting for my Pacific Northwest issue in early September which will likely include a trip there after harvest to taste. The whole issue of $500/week for a car is something I am looking to avoid because the way I do my tastings now is rent a house and have the wineries come throughout the day. I saw 30+ winemakers in 5 days that way in Santa Barbara back in June and drove my car once, two blocks. I find it more efficient (and less risk) to not spend time driving between appointments and once I load in my supplies for the week, I generally don’t have a reason to leave. So I am likely looking at an Uber or some car service from and to PDX. Any thoughts on that are appreciated.

There are 3 uber drivers in Mac.

Thanks, Todd. I am arriving 11/12 - 17 and staying/tasting in Orenco Station. Probably do a few small Wine of the day dinners at the loft.

This sounds likes my ideal winery visit (especially the profanity, I’d feel right at home). Whenever I’ve had the opportunity to visit a winery, there’s always been nothing going on so you just have to imagine what would be happening inside. This is why I really like brewery visits, there’s always something going on.

One brewery in Milwaukee (Lakefront I believe) takes you on a tour of the facility including the bottling line which includes letting a volunteer to glove up one of the bottles a la Laverne and Shirley and then we all waved while they played the theme song from an old boom box. Apparently, they also used to end the tour with a slide down Bernie the Brewer’s old chalet slide from Brewers stadium which they bought at auction. Even without the slide, this was probably the most memorable winery/brewery tour I’ve ever had.
IMG_7374.JPG

And 1 Lyft driver.

Cameron and Thomas. Realistically, Mo Ayoub.

Thanks to all who have posted here. Super helpful information. I hope folks wont mind if I tack on a related question to avoid another thread:

How far out of Portland do we need to be to avoid afternoon rush-hour traffic? I’ve checked traffic maps off and on but that doesn’t give me a sense of what is typical.

As a bit of context, we will be headed from Portland to Eugene after lunch during a weekday, and hoping to hit some wineries on the way. I’m considering scheduling one or two appointments in the same area (with another non-reservation tasting room nearby in case we have time). McMinnville and Salem seem like the logical choices, both with a good concentration of wineries i’m interested in (basically as listed above). If we end up doing two days, i’m leaning towards McMinville on our travel day and then devote a full day to Salem, since its a bit closer to Eugene. It also gives us a bit extra time before wineries close that day. But since we want to be in Eugene by dinner, I want to make sure we’re past the point of heavy traffic slowing us down. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Just outside Salem you can visit Walter Scott & St. Innocent or Evesham Wood then continue on your way to Eugene. That is doable if after lunch means hitting the road no later than 1:30 and planning short visits at two.

If you can add a day that changes the dynamics completely.

An excellent trio.

Traffic thins out even before you reach Salem from Portland. Unless it is a football Saturday, I wouldn’t worry about traffic.
Disclaimer, I’m used to Seattle and Portland traffic. My perspective may be skewed.

P Hickner

We’re planning a visit for a few days in November and I’ve found this thread extremely informative. I think I’m going to just copy most of your itinerary! Hope you enjoy your trip next month.

Any chance the invitations to visit, extended to the OP by ITB WB members, may apply to other WB members such as myself?
newhere

Sure.

Has anyone mentioned Elk Cove yet? I absolutely loved their Pinots when I visited their beautiful tasting room last year.

Always happy to host Berserkers.

Appreciate the posts as we have an upcoming trip as well. Piling on…we are going to be staying at Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach for a portion of the trip. Any related suggestions, especially on food, would be appreciated.

Great thread. Subscribing.

Great food on the Oregon Coast is limited. For really excellent food there is Albatross in Astoria but that is sort of far. Oddly the McMenniman’s in Gearhart has decent food and great views. The Warren House in Tolovana Park is very near you and it doesn’t look like much but the food is good and BYOB is $7 and they have a great halibut burger.

Sounds like I need to hit Albatross in February.

In C-Beach there isn’t much that has grabbed me. There is a good burger at Public Coast Brewing. Just a little beyond walking distance. Beer is okay.

Also in Astoria, if you like beer is Ft George and I think there food is pretty good. Not fine dinning but they do a number of things well. Maybe a little of the top type of food but it works. And the beer is awesome.

And if you can catch her when she is open, go chat with Laurel at Laurel’s Cannon Beach Wine. Again maybe beyond walking distance. Laurel knows some things.

In C-Beach, Sweet Basil’s can be an interesting pick. A bit variable in my experience.

Jason

Clifton, yes, by all means get in touch with me if you’re coming to the Willamette Valley. Invitation extends to all Berserkers, I’ve really enjoyed getting to know people here over the years.