Helping small and medium producers - Oct 1 Comment Deadline

Great job, Jay! Everything here. I should have also noted in my letter that the deadline coincided with the busy time of year for small and medium wine producers! I had 10 minutes to spare at breakfast to write my comments!

Thanks. I have written many comment letters on banking and securities topics over the years, and one to the Library of Congress when a wording error caused a proposed regulation to violate the First Amendment, but this is my first foray into alcohol regulation. In my experience, it is important to pick your spots. It’s a mistake to write a blunderbuss letter covering all topics unless you have authority behind you, like, as occasionally happens, 30 or 40 law professors issue a joint letter and they have the gravitas to move their letter to the top of the pile. Instead, I like to pick one or two points and pound on them in the hope that someone will remember what I said. Especially when there are hundreds and hundreds of letters, it is not necessary to mention every little nit.

1 Like