Here's a can of worms: Show me a really strong Napa QPR.

Certainly, the Hardin and a few others seem compelling, but for the most part I am underwhelmed.

Agree on the Chapellet, year in year out…

Smith Madrone at $20 is a real QPR in my book…real site-specific character. Needs time, though.

Not sure the year but Venge’s Scout’s Honor at $35 is scary good! It’s a blend of Zin, petite sirah,carbono etc. Blows the Prisoner away JMHO

2007 caravan by darioush $29
2005 Freemark Abbey cab $20

How about all the Match Cabs that were just $30 if you bought 10?

Pobega must have had a stroke in forgetting to mention The sisters. Please forgive him.
–Berto

Humberto Dorta wrote:
Pobega must have had a stroke in forgetting to mention The sisters. Please forgive him.
–Berto

:slight_smile:

$50.

The original poster can’t wrap his head around the $20 deals, why put him into cardiac? [smileyvault-ban.gif]
You and I know its well worth it…
Best $50 wine in NAPA PERIOD.
Need another thread for it though…

Not to mention there are still many out there who can’t correlate QPR with $50

I’ll let you know when they get here once the weather cools down.

Serious wicked pissa. $16 a bottle at Costco. Got a case for daily drinking, and actually had a bottle on Saturday night with a domestic Wagyu strip and duck fat/Benton’s Bacon drippings roasted taters.

I love the Rivers-Marie cabs too. They are terrific. The '04 was very reasonably priced considering the quality for $50.00. The waiting list for Rivers-Marie is 4,000 people however.

Whatever

Notice the smiley much?

Thats not very nice now is it? I was just pointing out that there does seem to be some good values in Napa. You don’t need to bite my head off. Lighten up.

Ass.

Let me stop it there.

+1, but where are you finding it for $20?? Usually see it at $40

Hey Rich, Since you really don’t want recos, I deleted all my posts. I really do not want to waste my time responding to a troll.

Enjoy your night.

Such things as $50 QPRs exist, yes, but under a certain assumption. You must assume a logarithmic relationship between price and quality. If you expect a linear correlation, you will find that $50 wines simply aren’t twice as good as the best values at the $25 price point (especially if you allow for close outs & discounts). But once you accept marginal returns at higher price points, then there can be higher priced QPRs in the sense they outperform their peers at a given price point.

At $50, a real QPR would be something that blows one away, a complete wine with something really special. I’ve certainly had complete wines for significantly less than that, but maybe not with the full ‘wow’ factor. Napa might be able to achieve this, but their whole pricing structure from excessive investment in McChateaus to grape costs to marketing costs is out of whack. Only producers with significant economy of scale or declassified wines probably have a shot.

Honestly, I would want your input absent the snide comments or implying that I don’t understand $50 wine. I understand $50 mediocre Napa wine all too well and cook with it all too often. Thanks to the people who gave recommendations at all price points sans the QPR cheapskate sarcasm.