Historic Vineyard Society Tasting - April 21 @ Press Club SF

Drew to add this was “The Swan Song” Joseph Swan Mancini Zin but the vineyard is in good hands with Reichwage who poured both a 15 Zin and a 16 Carignan from Mancini, both very nice.

Glad to hear. I have a bottle of each. Mr Max Reichwage is a cool guy, and I have high hopes for the future of this old vineyard!

Also worth noting is that the Swan 2013 Ziegler Vineyard Zin, from a site that Rod said was right across the road from Mancini, was very good too - I actually preferred it to his 2012 Mancini Zin. Agree that both of the Reichwage wines were very nice.

Any insight into how long to keep the 2013 Ridge Historic Vines? I have a bottle of this.

Certainly no hurry to open it! I imagine it may well be as long-lived as the Monte Bello bottlings.

I imagined that the absence of curated vineyard tours and the offering of an HVS Zin bottling might have put a bit of a damper on this year’s event.

However, as Larry P pointed out, the inclusion of varieties other than Zinfandel had a great effect on the way the tasting was received. For me, the Mourvèdre wines alone would have been a blast :slight_smile: ; several other additional wines (Riesling and Cab Sauv, for example) have been talked about here. Did anyone get to try Carignan? Rosé wines?

What mind-blowing wines have not been mentioned previously in this thread that had a profound effect on those who made it to the HVS tasting this year?

The only note I wrote was ‘massive’. I would say a while.

The 1994 Ravenswood I mentioned earlier might not have been a Dickerson, alcohol was involved [cheers.gif]

This was hands down the best tasting I’ve ever attended [wow.gif]. I typed in the entire lineup from the program below. There was a late addition, Calder Wines, who were pouring next to Carlisle. Many wineries were also pouring additional wines. The Crane Assembly poured their 2012 version, Williams Selyem poured their 2016 Fannuchi Wood Rd.

Arnot Roberts
• 2016 Old Vine White, Heinstein Vineyard, Sonoma Valley
• 2014 Cabernet, Montecillo Vnyd, Moon Mtn

Bedrock
• 2015 Gewurztraminer, Alta Vista vineyard, Sonoma Valley
• 2016 Heritage wine, Esola vineyard, Amador County
• 2016 Heritage wine, Evangelho vineyard, Contra Costa County
• 2016 Heritage wine, Bedrock vineyard, Sonoma Valley

Birichino
• Bechtold Cinsault, Lodi
• Besson Grenache, Central Coast
• Besson Zinfandel, Central Coast

Bucklin/Old Hill Ranch
• 2015 Red Blend, Old Hill Ancient vine, Sonoma Valley
• 2015 Grenache, Old Hill Ranch, Sonoma Valley
• 2016 Mixed Blacks, Old Hill Ranch, Sonoma Valley

Carlisle
• 2015 “The Derivative” White wine, Sonoma County
• 2016 Two Acres, Russian River Valley
• 2015 Zinfandel, Carlisle Vineyard
• 2015 Petite Sirah, Palisades vineyard, Calistoga

Carol Shelton
• 2015 Zinfandel, Cox vineyard, “Wild Thing”, Mendocino
• 2016 Zinfandel, Lopez vineyard, “Monga”, Cucamonga valley
• 2015 Zinfandel, Mancini vineyard, RRV

Day
• 2015 Zinfandel, “El Diablo” vineyard, RRV

Failla
• 2015 Chardonnay, Haynes vineyard, Coombsville

Hanzell
• 2014 Chardonnay, Ambassador’s 1953 vineyard, Sonoma Valley
• 2014 Pinot Noir, Ambassador’s 1953 vineyard, Sonoma Valley
• 2011 Chardonnay, Ambassador’s 1953 vineyard, Sonoma Valley

Hartford
• 2015 Zinfandel, Hartford vineyard, RRV
• 2015 Zinfandel, Highwire vineyard, RRV
• 2015 Zinfandel, Jolene’s vineyard, RRV

I.Brand & Family
• 2016 Mourvedre, Enz vineyard, Lime Kiln Valley

Joseph Swan
• 2012 Zinfandel, Mancini Ranch, RRV
• 2013 Zinfandel, Zeigler vineyard, RRV

La Marea
• 2015 Grenache, Besson vineyard, Santa Clara Valley

Limerick Lane
• 2015 Syrah, Limerick Lane “Hail Mary”, RRV
• 2015 Zinfandel, Limerick Lane 1910 Block, RRV
• 2015 Zinfandel, Limerick Lane, Rocky Knoll, RRV

Lodi Winegrape Commission
• 2016 Fields Family Cinsault. Bechtold vineyard, Lodi
• 2015 Ironstone Zinfandel, Rous vineyard Reserve, Lodi
• 2015 Klinker Brick Carignan, Rauser vineyard, Lodi

Mike & Molly Hendry
• 2015 Zinfandel, R.W. Moore vineyard, Coombsville

Nalle
• 2015 Zinfandel, estate “Henderlong Nalle Ranch”, Dry Creek Valley

Neyers
• 2016 Carignan, Evangelho vineyard, Contra Costa County

Once & Future
• 2016 Mataro, Oakley, Contra Costa County
• 2016 Zinfandel, Teldeschi, “Frank’s Block” Dry Creek Valley
• 2016 Petite Sirah, Pallisades vineyard, Calistoga

Precedent
• 2015 Riesling, Wira vineyard, Cienaga Valley
• 2016 Zinfandel, Evangelho vineyard, Contra Costa County
• 2016 Zinfandel, “Victors” Lodi

Riechwage
• 2015 Zinfandel, Mancini Ranch, RRV
• 2016 Carignan, Mancini Ranch, RRV

Ridge
• 2013 Cabernet, Monte Bello Historic Vines
• 2016 Carignan, Buchigani Ranch, Alexander Valley
• 2015 Zinfandel blend, Geyserville

Robert Biale
• 2016 Barbera, Gaudi-Carli, Calistoga
• 2016 Zinfandel, Aldo’s vineyard, Oak Knoll District
• 2016 “Basic Black” Heritage Blend, Sonoma/Napa

Sandlands
• 2016 Carignan, Contra Costa County
• 2016 Mataro, Contra Costa County
• 2016 Mataro, San Benito County

Seghesio
• 2015 Zinfandel, Montafi vineyard, RRV
• 2015 Zinfandel, Pagani Ranch, Sonoma Valley

St. Amant
• 2016 Zinfandel, Mohr-Fry Ranch, Lodi
• 2016 Zinfandel, Marian’s vineyard, Lodi
• 2016 Zinfandel, Marian’s vineyard Lodi Native, Lodi

Stirm
• 2016 Zinfandel, Cienega Valley
• 2016 Riesling, Wirz wineyard, Cienega Valley
• 2016 Cabernet Pfeffer, Lime Kiln Valley

The Crane Assembly
• 2015 El Coco, G.B. Crane vineyard, St. Helena

Three Wine Company
• 2013 “Established in 1885 by Three”, Contra Costa County
• 2013 “Three” Carignan, Lucchesi vineyard, Contra Costa County
• 2015 “Three” Zinfandel, Live Oak vineyard, Contra Costa County

Turley
• 2016 Cinsault, Bechtold vineyard, Lodi
• 2015 Zinfandel, Sadie Upton vineyard, Amador County
• 2015 Zinfandel, Hayne Vineyard, Napa Valley

Under The Wire
• 2013 Zinfandel, Bedrock vineyard, Sonoma Valley (Sparkling)

Williams Selyem
• 2016 Zinfandel, Bacigalupi vineyard, RRV
• 2016 Zinfandel, Papera Ranch, RRV
• 2016 Zinfandel Saitone Ranch, RRV

Add to the above one of my favorites at the tasting, Carol Shelton Oat Valley Carignane, I think it was 2015.

On a side note Bucklin snuck me a sip of a very well stored 1991 Ravenswood Old Hill zin. Spectacular and made me realize the older Old Hills I have bought from Winebid were not as well stored.

What were the impressions of the two palisades petites(Carlisle and once & future)?

Surprised how approachable they were. I wrote ‘rustic’ for Carlisle. I wrote ‘great, big, awesome’ for Once and Future. My experiences with young Petite Syrah are limited; have to revisit my perception that they need a lot of time. Turley’s I’ve had over a decade ago needed a lot of time.

I am not familiar with the Heinstein Vineyard. Does anyone have any leads on the background on this vineyard?

SOMEONE on the board has mentioned previously that this is a mind-blowing wine. I would love to hear from others about their impressions of the Bucklin Grenache!

I almost never see tasting notes from this producer. I would (again) be grateful for any thoughts from the HVS attendees.

The only previous vineyard-designated bottlings from the “El Diablo Vineyard” I have seen were from Valdez and Jeff Cohn. I thought this was NOT an old-vine planting…?

These are all wines that I would be most appreciative of others’ thoughts regarding the accessiblility, due to their overall youthfulness.

Also, I have to take advantage of this opportunity to ask others what they thought of these producers and their specific wines.

• I am sitting on a bottle of the 2014 NeyersEvangelho Vineyard” Carignan. Any tasting notes of the current release? :slight_smile:

• The Precedent wines were the subject of a thread I posted yesterday. Tasting notes?

• I found the BialeGaudi-Carli” Barbera a surprisingly refreshing, fruity-yet-dry delight a couple of years ago. The alcohol wasn’t too assertive, though it was on the higher side, but the price made a repeat purchase out of the question. What did y’all think of it? Also, what grapes go into the “Basic Black”???

• I have written a bit on the STiRM wines on the “Santa Clara and San Benito Wine Heritage” thread, but I have not opened my “Los Chucaquis” Rosé or the two Rieslings. Thoughts on the wines at the tasting event?

Thanks for any help!

Heinstein is the new name for what used to be known as Compagni-Portis.

I’ll have notes on the Carol Shelton wines - her wines were among my favorites at the tasting. Precedent too.

Be patient, Drew! [cheers.gif]

Interesting, thanks Ken. I’m assuming the vineyard was purchased by new owners hence the name change, is that correct? If so…really hope Bedrock and Carlisle keep getting grapes. Love the CP from both of them.

I don’t have any details about the ownership, but it’s been known as Heinstein for the past couple of years and they have at least been continuing to sell to Arnot-Roberts (tasted their Heinstein Vineyard white field blend at the event).

Thanks Ken. First I’ve heard of the name as I’m only familiar with the vineyard through the Bedrock and Carlisle whites, and they are still calling it Compagni-portis (at least though the most recent 2016 vintage offering)

Arnot-Roberts has been using the Heinstein name since 2014, so it sounds like the vineyard goes by both names now. It wouldn’t be the only vineyard that goes by different names for different producers - another example is Porter-Bass Vineyard (Ceritas) / Mays Canyon Vineyard (Littorai).

It is the same vineyard. It is a bit of a tricky situation as the 6 acre vineyard is actually owned by 3 different owners due to a subdivision a long time ago. We and Carlisle choose to name our wines after the Compagni Portis family who cared for the entire vineyard for a long time. The section that goes to Arnot Roberts is owned by the Heinstein family who prefer to have their name on the label. Bedrock, in cahoots with Phil Coturri, still oversees farming on the entire vineyard.

Thanks for the clarification on the vineyard, Morgan.

Second that- always appreciate the education Morgan!