Home Bar Question

We drink Chartreuse regularly in the winter as a digestif (straight)

Dang, not sure how I missed this thread.

My current home bar is an antique tea cart (don’t laugh). I always keep in stock 2 different kinds of vodka, 2 different tequilas, 1 or 2 rums, at least 1 whiskey, 1 scotch, 1 gin, vermouth, bitters, Campari, amaretto, Baileys, Godiva, brandy, calvados, etc… I need to upgrade or supplement some of the current selections (my current stock whiskey is Jack Daniels and scotch is Glenlivet 12) with at least one higher end offering (Pappy’s, Single Malt, etc…) but all of the basics are there now. Vodka is usually Three Olives and Tito’s (Goose is a terrible QPR), higher end rum in Havana Club 20, higher end tequila is Don Julio 1492, etc…

Oh, by the way, when we start our remodel we’ll be building an L shape bar in the front living room (rarely used, we spend all of our time in the den) for a proper setting. Besides the bar stools we’ll place a cocktail table with four nice padded chairs around that. That’s the room where our audio equipment is located. That should make for a proper meeting and greet venue since it is right off the entry way foyer.

I hope to be on speaking terms again with you soon. [smileyvault-ban.gif]

I got this bar from Target (of all places) that was like $399 retial that I ended up negotiating and taking the last floor model for like $70. I only keep spirits in there, but it holds 30-40 bottles.

Its amazing, folded-up, its measures 3’ x 4’, but you can fold-out the top and the body opens up to something thats more like 6’ x 3’ with a ton of storage and serving platforms. So yeah, #TargetFTW

Made a Bijou the other night with Green Chartreuse to try and get back in Andrew’s good graces. [neener.gif]

After being forced to drink it I Liotta is not in my good graces (made it up with a mag of 91 Chapoutier Pavillon last night)

Blah. Michael is right. The Bijou originated as a pousse-cafe. Not a good cocktail.

Tantris Sidecar too hard? [cry.gif]

A really easy one and one of the tiny few from Prohibition era that is good and with a fantastic backstory :

Last Word

• 3/4 ounce gin
  • 3/4 ounce lime juice
  • 3/4 ounce green Chartreuse
  • 3/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
    Shake well with ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass

For the harder core :

The Laphroaig Project

• 1 shot / 30 ml / 1 oz Green Chartreuse
  • 1 shot / 30 ml / 1 oz lemon juice
  • ½ shot / 15 ml / ½ oz Laphroaig Quarter Cask
  • ½ shot / 15 ml / ½ oz maraschino
  • ¼ shot / 7.5 ml / ¼ oz Yellow Chartreuse
  • 2 dashes Fee Brothers Peach Bitters
  • Shake all ingredients with ice and strain in to an ice-filled old-fashioned glass. Garnish with lemon zest twist.
    Created by Owen Westman of Bourbon & Branch

A.

Andrew, Michael is a delicate flower. I will try those out. Thanks.

Andrew, Michael still hates Chartreuse, but likes the VEP enough to not turn his nose away in disgust. I’ve made a number of cocktails with both versions since our original discussion here.

Built in fridge in the island and one cabinet above the pantry.
ACEA3553-2109-446C-8EA6-C1EDB9993019.jpeg
E8D5BCAF-5E4F-47B8-8EC9-9E70F9ACDD7B.jpeg

Wanted to bump this thread. Currently building a house and will have the opportunity to stock a liquor cabinet from relative scratch. Hoping to put together a nice assortment of bottles - gin/vodka/bourbon/rye/scotch/tequila/vermouth/rum/etc.

What are your staples? Which special bottles should I splurge (<$500/bottle) for? Looking forward to the suggestions.

Staples:

Old Forester 1920
Blanton’s
Fortaleza Anejo
Death’s Door Gin
Grey Goose
Dartigalongue XO

Regarding splurge bottles that just depends on what you like. Balvenie port wood 21, George T Stagg, Tesseron 53 and 29 are all fun.

Just went through this exercise. Besides the staples, you need fun stuff like Campari, Luxardo, Creme de Violet, Chartreuse, Aperal, different bitters and don’t cheese out on the Vermouth.

Here’s my take. I probably have 100+ bottles in my home bar and for mainly cocktails, the options below are affordable and versatile.

Bourbon - Buffalo Trace
Scotch - Monkey Shoulder (non-peated) and Compass Box Peat Monster (peated)
Rye - Sazerac or Rittenhouse
Gin - Ford’s or Plymouth
Rum - Cana Brava or Plantation, Smith and Cross, LH151 or Plantation OFTD
Tequila - Espolon Blanco and Reposado
Mezcal - Del Maguey Vida
Brandy - Copper & Kings American Brandy
Cognac - Pierre Ferrand 1840
Apple Brandy - Laird’s BIB
Vodka - Tito’s
Calvados - There are a few cocktails that call for Calvados, but not enough to recommend buying a bottle.

Liqueurs and aperitifs - Pierre Ferrand Curacao, Cointreau, Green Chartreuse, Yellow Chartreuse, Campari, Aperol, St. Germain, Amaro Nonino, Amaro Averna, Cynar, Lillet Blanc, Luxardo Maraschino, St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram, Velvet Falernum, DOM Benedictine
Sweet Vermouth - Cocchi, Carpano Antica
Dry & Blanc Vermouth - Dolin
Bitters - Angostura, Regan’s Orange, Peychauds, Bittercube Cherry Bark Vanilla

As far as a splurge, I’d go for bottles where your cocktails will primarily be spirit driven. Old Fashioneds, Sazeracs, Martinis, etc.

If you want to go big, buy bottles of PVW15 and VWFRR and make some VanHattans. Equal parts Pappy 15, Van Winkle Rye, and Sweet Vermouth. :slight_smile:

Tyler, thanks for taking the time to put that list together.