Honeycrisp apples

That’s my problem with them here in Dallas. $3.99 a lb, and each one is huge. I’ve switched to the Jazz apple, which is delicious, sweet, tart, and very crisp. I think it’s much more flavorful than the honeycrisp, while maintaining that nice hard crunch.

Just a thought? Could there be such a thing as “terroir” for apples? Is a honeycrisp apple grown in Michigan different than a honeycrisp grown in Minnesota?

Tom Brown, a modern Johnny Appleseed, searching out and saving almost-forgotten apple varieties: http://www.applesearch.org/

I met Tom Brown about 10 years ago at a mountain music festival in Franklin NC, where he had about 50 old-timey apple varieties on display. Remembering what my mother said was her favorite apple when she was a child, I asked him if he had found any Limbertwig apples. “More than a dozen,” he relied, and started naming them: Yellow Limbertwig, Brushy Mountain Limbertwig, Watts Limbertwig, Appalachian Limbertwig, Black Limbertwig, Fall Limbertwig, Green Limbertwig, Sweet Limbertwig, Red Royal Limbertwig, Mountain Limbertwig, Kentucky Limbertwig, Little Limbertwig, etc., etc.

Seems reasonable.

We have a local orchard near here that specializes in Pink Ladies that are distinctively better than other Pink Lady producers.

There were loads of varieties in Maine (and elsewhere too, obviously) in the past. For different purposes–immediate eating, storage, pies, cider, etc. There are lots of old trees around and at the Common Ground Fair, for instance, if you have some growing in your yard, you can bring them in to find out what they are. The tastes vary widely, much more than modern commercial apples (at least the kind you usually find). Some years ago I had IIRC brown russets from a place in MA that we found by change that were fabulous, even though soft and sweet. There is some really nice Apfel Eiswein made in MA:
** Apfel Eis NV
Apple Ice Wine
Still River Winery
Harvard, MA www.stillriverwinery.com
C: Pale yellow
N: Apple, v. slight mustiness
P: Just wonderful, light, sweet, but not at all cloying. Notes of apple, cider, mustiness. Very interesting. Great length.

Kiku is a new Apple to me, very good. This year’s crop of Envy and Honeycrisp wasn’t as good for me. Wish I could try some of these heirlooms Mr. Fleming lists.

I eat a lot of Pink Lady (aka Cripps Pink) apples, and they can vary a lot. I’m not sure how much terroir matters, but I’m pretty sure there are genetic variants that have been licensed to be sold under the Pink Lady name. I often buy Jazz apples when I’m not happy with the Pink Lady apples being sold in the places I shop. Pink Pearl is another apple I liked when I was able to try one. Honeycrisp are okay, but aren’t tart enough or firm enough for my taste.

-Al

I’m really liking Suncrisp apples - flavors of pear and honey crisp together in a course yellow skin. I’ve only ever seen them at the Union Square market though

found Opal at Trader Joe’s today–a sweet tasty apple. First time.

I love Honeycrisp apples. Just delicious! But you have to buy them at peak season. In SC that ended maybe a couple weeks before Thanksgiving.

Sweetango sounds nice, never seen it before.

just had Pink Cripps–didn’t know that was Pink Lady. Loved Lady Alice recently, great balance of sweet and acid, almost winey. Always looking for a good new (to me) apple.

Kanzi are a favorite here. Crisp, refreshing, tangy and good for baking.

Just tried a Honey Crunch. Also very good, but on the sweeter side.

Macoun is the only apple I eat in quantity. They’re only in season for a couple months in New England though, and they aren’t good for storage.
Recently I ate a Honeycrisp and didn’t care for it.

In addition to Honeycrisp, the Crimson Crisp and Cameo apples are outstanding. I purchase from our friends at Holmberg Orchards(Gales Ferry, CT). They and others in New England have pretty sophisticated storage technologies such that the apples are still good until they run out in March-May.

Of the widely available varieties Honeycrisps are my favorites. But where it is grown counts. I haven’t had a Honeycrisp from Washington I have liked. The Michigan and Minnesota Honeycrisps on the other hand never fail to delight.

And they’re eating great this year, too.

Now that it’s later in the season, I found the last couple of packs of organic Honeycrisps aren’t as good as earlier in the year (at least at Costco) while the Fuji’s are exceptional and half the price.

Anyone else compare them recently.

agree that recent Honeycrisps aren’t as good, and recent Envy apples not as good, either. Had some nice Lady Alice recently, and a Pinata.

Kanzi, a Gala and Braeburn cross, was good yesterday. Kiku is on deck.

Kanzi are still good here. Just bought 2.5 kg at the farmer’s market yesterday.