How adventurous is your palate?

Absolutely. I’ve had some Argentine malbecs that were, while hardly Lafite or Mouton, still excellent and very reasonably priced. I’ve also had some excellent values from Chile including, believe it or not, chardonnay and syrah.

Over the years we’ve tried nearly every variety of wine available. Many we’ve liked, some we haven’t (Pinotage comes to mind). A lot (Aglianico, Negroamaro, Nero d’Avola, etc.) taste a lot better with some age rather than really young. In fact I like very few wines young, but most are good with some age.

2008 was the year of the adventurous palate for me. I threw down all prejudices and tried wines I had never even heard of. While I’m no Florida Jim, I’d say that my palate is better and I have a better appreciation for wine generally. Some real finds. If you had told me a couple of years ago that I’d love Beaujolais and Chinon, I’d probably have punched you in the jaw. Now, I’m pretty lucky because I work near Chambers St. and live near West Side Wine.

I’d certainly urge everyone to get out of their comfort zone.

I think these are some of the best wines to try … not drink, of course, but try.

Very adventurous…Last night I drank a Sémillon from California.

Kalin? Those can be terrific but I’ve had some bottle variation.

It’s really never been an issue for me. I’ve always been willing to try anything at least once (where there’s no cost involved), and even where there is some $$$ involved.

Being ITB retail, for me the challenge and the buzz is when I am so over the top enthusiastic about something offbeat that a customer steps into unknown territory and tries it.

I like to try as many different wines as I can. I agree with Jim on the retailer. I get a mixed case from Chambers St. and also Wine Expo usually once a shipping season. I also like to fill in orders from other retailers with oddball wines. When i order from , say Ian at WL, I might be after a particular bottle but then I search the off regions of Italy and France to round out the Order.

I am always trying new stuff. But it doesn’t mean I will add it to my regular rotation. Of course my regular rotation is loaded with all kinds of variety.

I like to experiment with new wines all the time. Recently drank a range of Vin Jaunes and an 83 Mondavi Botrytised Sav Blanc!

Glad you qualified that. [cheers.gif]

Going back to Jeff’s original point, today alone I tried a Rondinella Bianco (no, that’s not a typo) that also had Kerner, Traminer and some other bizarre variety in it. Messed up stuff to say the least.

I venture off the beaten path all the time, I got my staff to try a 100% Savignin (that was essentially immature Vin Jaune), as well as straight Trousseau and Poulsard. I got a lot of “what the hell, you don’t like me anymore?” comments, but at least they tried some funky stuff that they won’t experience elsewhere.

I’m adventurous but a few things frighten me. For example, the mere thought of retsina mortifies me!

I must try other wines before I die.

Ok here’s another new one by me.

50% Biancolella
40% Biancazita
10% Pepella

And 100% delicious! A white wine from near Salerno.

You hooked me; what is it?
I never heard of those grapes.
Best, Jim

It’s from Azienda which is near Maiori (Amalfi Coast) and those are lesser known local varietals. Everyone seems to make a Fiano, Falanghina, and Greco. This is my first experience with any of these grapes. The wine had a smoky, citrus thing which was very nice. I may get involved with the producer so I’m reluctant to reveal at this time.

Dammit…thanks for joggin my memory Jeff; was almost forgetting an incredibly delicious white I had the chance to taste almost 2 years ago at a friends place and was finally able to find in the city:

Carricante

In this wine:
An OMFG good wine.

Dude, you’re pretty good.
Did you ever think of doing this for a living?

[bye2.gif]

Think and Living. Neither of those words came to mind.

I drink more Aglianico than I do Cabernet, Merlot or Syrah, so there :slight_smile:

Of course, I drink far more Pinot, Nebbiolo, Grenache and Sangiovese than I do Aglianico!

I think a good way to be adventurous is to drink before opening Garagiste emails…