How do you cook your rice?

I’ve wanted a Zojirushi but have yet to buy one. I was gifted an instant pot a few years ago and after using it for everything I could think of for a few months, it’s now mostly just a rice cooker. I don’t love it for much else, but it makes pretty good rice quickly and easily while freeing up the stovetop for other things.

For white basmati rice, rinse several times, soak 30 min, bring to a boil and the lower to just barest simmer… pot and cover on stove… fluffy separate grains.

Brown rice is Insta Pot if available or pot and lid…

Basmati is the only rice I have…

Like a few others, I just use a pot and rice and water. I’ve never owned a rice cooker. First time I ever heard of them was in the 1980s, I don’t know if they existed before or not, but it seemed like a single-use appliance that would just take up counter space. Generally however much rice I’m making I just use twice as much water and it seems to work pretty well.

Japanese rice cooker. Perfect every time. Also steams vegetables perfectly when we don’t feel like using the combi oven, or it’s doing something else.

2:1 water and rice with some salt and olive oil. Boil it then cover and turn it down to minimal simmer for 10 minutes then turn it off. Let it sit another 10 minutes. Super simple.

Zoji here but it takes forever!

Rinse, soak 1.5 parts water to rice, simmer until water is gone. I also toast rice a bit before adding water. I prefer broken Thai rice.

Yeah, but since it keeps nicely almost forever, just make it early!

Uncle Roger: Use FINGEEEERRRR

lol yes, I use that method too.

While on the topic, what are peoples’ pre-cooking rinse regimens?

I usually pour water over the rice, stir for a few seconds, drain, repeat until water is (mostly) clear.

rice in strainer under faucet till I get tired.

Did you ever do the KFC thing that was popping up last year? People would reheat their chicken in the same pot they cooked the rice to make chicken rice. We tried it. It was okay. I rather reheat it in an air fryer or a steam oven.

We did it in the instant pot, it was ok.

3X rinse… stirring the rice under water will cause it to continually release starch so “clear” is subjective.

I won’t do it again. I rather make chicken rice with sous vide… and just put the sous vide liquid in the rice cooker.

There’s no such thing as leftover fried chicken in this house.

Make sure to wash it a few times. Add enough water that it covers your index finger to the first joint above the water. Cook in a pressure cooker at highest pressure for five minutes. Turn off heat and keep under pressure for a total of 14 minutes.

lol that’s amazing. I feel that a bit.

I love popeyes, but it makes me physically sick for some reason… so we basically order korean fried chicken or japanese karaage and I’m not upset :stuck_out_tongue:

Haven’t had Popeyes or KFC or anything like that in more than 20 years. But there is a world class fried chicken place in our neighborhood.

Admittedly, I will spend about 8 hours double frying chicken then vacuum sealing it then freezing for later. I’m a big fan of the potato starch double fry method.