How do you deal with "Well, Total Wine/Costco has it for..."

That sounds interesting in theory but unless you’ve built up your own native client base, it seems like it will mean every bottle has to be hand sold. I think this model might work better in resort/vacation towns, where visitors are more consciously open to trying, and desiring, something new.

I see this a lot in my day job with a Napa Valley Estate winery. People respond to information I create for them telling me they can find it for $10 less at another retailer. They don’t know what to say when I point out they are looking at an older vintage, they will need to pay higher shipping and they have no idea how it is stored.

To be frank - the only wines this is going to happen with is Kendall Jackson, Martini and all the mega-purple cuvees from Gallo. The best thing to do is to treat the wines like liquor (markup wise) and keep a good, everyday price.

Total Wine is going to $9.99 KJ Chard once a month, you keep an $11.97 price on it EVERYDAY. The rest of your competition is going to be $14.99, so your price will always be competitive.

You don’t have to always be the cheapest, just the most competitive.

Long-running and estabished bottle shop 50 years running, a fixture in the neighborhood. The wine section is the heart and soul of the shop. Every bottle was sampled and hand-picked for a spot on the shelves. Any given month we sent invoice payments to around 20 different wine distributors. We didn’t mind if new faces/visitors head to Whole Foods for their Vueve Clicquot, Meiomi or KJ. I no longer work there, but this buying philosophy has served it well.

interesting subject since i live in buffalo and costco is opening soon .The big issue can they sell wine/liquor here since they discount so much as it will certainly have a affect on the mom and pop stores .Just wondering what the the thought is about this