How do you Organize your Storage

Cool idea, and very practical (for the wine drinker). I’ll try to bury things that are not going to ready anytime soon and try to make the earlier drinkers more accessible.

Maybe, but certainly not as much fun!

We’ve had this thread at least twice before this one, but here goes my usual response. The problem with this approach is not only the pain of the initial organization but you are now forcing yourself to identify each new bottle you buy individually in CT. CT has ‘bulk’ editing for a reason. My approach which carries over from when most of my inventory was in case boxes, has been to define a CT ‘bin’ as something between 8-14 bottles, depending on the physical racking. Most of my racking is double deep with 18 slots per column. So in the first column bin ‘01’ is the first 6 slots (12 bottles), followed by bins 02 and 03 below. Column 2 has bins 04-06, etc.

Yes, I may have to pull out a few bottles to find the correct wine if I don’t recognize the capsule, etc. BUT when i’m accepting receipt of purchased wine, I can keep a CT Location/Bin view tab open to see if I have a bin with enough open slots to accommodate the quantity of a wine I am putting away. In most cases I can bulk accept the wine into one or two bins. In your case you have to inventory each bottle individually. I don’t know about you, but I rarely buy wines for cellaring in quantity one. Especially with double deep racking - the front and back positions are ALWAYS in the same bin. When I take one out, the other just gets shoved to the back. Keeping track of the exact position of each bottle seems like an unmanageable nightmare to me. I would fail completely. I have enough trouble just remembering to remove the bottle from inventory when we drink it let alone which exact bottle it was - row/column/front/back. Ouch.

So for the first time I’m actually making a point to organize and inventory my wine. Holy crap do I have a lot of Truchot.

As noted above, my routine satisfies some of my control issues. So here goes, I suspect I may be in the running for most anal about this…

Old World on left, New World on right.

Separate sections for Germany, Champagne, Red Bordeaux, White Bordeaux, Sauternes, Red Rhone, White Rhone, Red Burgundy, White Burgundy, Ports, Italy, Spain, US, OZ, Sweet Reds, Other.

All the white sections are together on the top shelves and separate from the red sections.

Within each section, organized by year and then alphabetically by producer, then wine.

Double deep racks, every front bottle has tags labeling the wines in that rack and listing the drinking window when I bought it.

This allows for easy cellar browsing in person, or remotely with CT.

I have extra room so the empty spaces as I drink stuff aren’t too problematic, but every couple of years I have to reshuffle the bottle locations in the cellar and in CellarTracker. Usually takes several evenings but it’s relaxing, kind of like gardening. The hands-on reshuffle often rekindles interest in wines I’ve been ignoring for a while.

At one point, it was by country and varietal. Now it’s where ever there is room and slap a large name tag on it. I guess I can’t help you.
IMG_20131109_185720.jpg

Ah yes, important point. Depends on your buying habits. I rarely buy full cases. I have about 25 full cases and they are designated similarly in the case columns, except there is no front or back. Once I break up the case, I just enter it as above. My buying habits are more towards trying to try every wine ever made at least once before I die, so even when I buy Saxum, it doesn’t come in the case. AND woe are my Carlisle columns - all onsies and twosies and a rare threesie.

We were discussing this with another guy over dinner last night. He has just started on the Road to Perdition - he only has about 300. We agreed that we both like to just go and look at our wine from time to time. AND if I want to poke around and decide which wine to pick without going to CT, that works too. My columns are loosely organized by producer when I have a lot from the same producer and by country and grape (one for Burgs, three for Bordeaux) when I don’t. However, the one thing everyone tells me is that such an organizatrion will eventually get screwed up over time, so I have allowed for the necessity of putting new Bordeaux purchases into former Burg slots by keping precise location.

Randy - what wood did you use for that cellar. Looks very practical. Also looks like 2x4s for the supports - correct?

In CT it’s important to make numbering 01, 02 etc. Otherwise 10 shows up after 1 and before 2…if you want to see you wine in the same sequence as the racking.

I use an Excel download for a visual of the cellar. I tried the A01. etc. and went back to just A1, etc. because the formula didn’t work with A01. I have learned to leave well enough alone. I also tried AB01 etc for expansion past Z01 and that did not work either, so I just doubled up a second tier on Excel for those past Z. I have 3 pages of 1-12 & 2 pages of 13-24 to cover rows of 12 in each column.
I generally look at my Excel now to organize wines and update CT locations.

Randy - I applaud you sir

Greg,

Yes, 2x4 framing, 2x6 shelving. Notice the metal racks in the center? Added 2 of them too.

Randy

Randy - Here is the deal… You invite me into that room… You leave to take a phone call… I am left alone in that room for about 3 minutes… You come back… See if you can tell if anything or any crate is missing… Deal?

You can use 1A as long as your slots don’t get to double digits.

I’ll probably change things down the road, but I decided to store by grape/varietal and region. Domestic cabs and Merlots in one cabinet, domestic pinot in another, burgs in another etc.

So I ended up giving each of my Eurocaves a name on Cellartracker; Alice, Bertha, etc. Then, because they have five distinct racks, I am logging stuff in as

Haphazardly. [cheers.gif]

It was well organized at one time. Now that the cellar is straining the limits of space it has gotten very haphazard. I am hoping to do a total reorganization this winter.

The title say it all! http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlkof_neil-young-helpless-w-the-band_music

Just toke up and who gives a rip about organization. [rofl.gif] [popcorn.gif] [oops.gif]