How does Riesling Kabinett change with age?

My view exactly.

Agreed
This producer always delivers in aged Kabinett
20200504_195145.jpg

Such a great vintage for Prüm.

I look forward to opening one of my mags of 2015 JJ Prum WS Kabinett for my 50th birthday.

And when is that Brian? champagne.gif

January 2037

Perfect

I’m working on it!

I had the ‘18 two weeks ago, and it was pretty remarkable. My favorite of the ~6 Falkensteins I’ve tried from 2018. Finding it is another story. Supply is very tight in the U.S.

I’ve had both the 2015 and the 2001 in the last few weeks. I hope the 2015 will be as good as that 2001 in 17 years, and have no reason to think it won’t.

I’m less sure about my preferences. The young wines are steelier, shaper-edged, and a bit more intense. 19 years of age softens those edges, mellows out the fruit and amps up the texture. Some of the fruit is replaced by smoky herbal notes. Both are delicious!

I opened a Maximin Grünhaus/von Schubert 2002 QbA this week, 18 years old and perfect for sipping on one of the view days of late when it was comfortable to sit outside at cocktail hour.

I tasted at the property on a visit in September 2003. Dr. von Schubert matter-of-factly said then that the '02 QbA would go for 20 years easily, and he was right.

Popped and poured, it was remarkably fresh and young – still quite primary, without any real gasoline notes. Of course, there was a good backbone of Ruwer acid.

Day 2 (refrigerated in between) it showed more layers and honey. A big step up from day 1. It’s lost just a trace of sweetness, but Ruwer wines always have so much acid that they’re pretty tart even young.

Not the same complexity you’d ordinarily get in a good Kabinett at this age, but a fine, interesting wine. And there’s no rush to drink this. Glad I have more.

So … to answer the original question, from the best producers, even low-level rieslings can take a long time to evolve.
Green Max 2002 QbA.jpg

I just happened to be on when I saw your post, John. I think the connection to your visit in 2003 and the comment is very cool! A QbA - wow impressive. Are they even made anymore? Thanks for sharing the note and the memory. Cheers -Jim

Thanks, John. Sounds delightful.

Judging by the photo, you are not sheltering on the UWS. Looks nice. Where are you?

The wines are still made, they just go by a different designation. Most wineries now call them “Estate Riesling” or some such. I don’t exactly remember what Grunhaus did with their bottling.

FWIW, the 2001 version is drop dead gorgeous.

An abbreviated Maximin Grunhaus anecdote. Originally posted on Mark Golodetz’s thread about ‘10 most influential wines’:

1953 Maximin Grunhaus Abtsberg Natur (from 375ml) – Consumed in the mid 90’s, served blind at dinner by owner Carl von Schubert to me and Robert Parker at my Chinese friend Stuart Berman’s restaurant ‘Court of the Mandarins’ in Silver Spring Maryland. Parker, a good taster, says he thinks this has some bottle age, probably late 1980s. I’d been to Grunhaus and thought I knew better, guessed 1971. Hey, better off by 18 years than 35, I guess.

It looked and smelled no more than 5 years old. It had been in the Grunhaus cellar 24 hours before it was opened, after gently mouldering there for 40+ years. It was great wine.

Dan Kravitz

In the Catskills, in that case on a friend’s deck with an epic view.

Acid will do that for you.

Just curious if any of the other riesling geeks here have tips for retailers or reliable auction sites that see older German kabinett. K&L occasionally has something come through on their new product feed, but their auction side has mostly spatlese and auslese.

Kabinett is for drinking, not selling! :wink:

That’s why I figured I never see older kabinett for sale lol, thought I’d try