How good is the 2008 vintage in BURGUNDY

The Leflaive 08 Chev, Batard and BBM are all great as long as you don’t lose the premox roulette

My initial experience with 08 right at the time of release was great. Many of the wines had the brightness that I crave. The acid was “crisp” almost in a riesling sort of way. When 09 and 10 were released, 08 was still sitting on the shelf- they didn’t move well initially as we were coming out of the recession and the 09s and 10s were critical darlings overall and catered to a broader palate. This made for some killer opportunities to go long on the vintage at a relatively good price. I went very deep on the vintage and despite the inconsistency as the bottles continue to age, I’m still happy with the decision to buy a bunch.

Some thoughts-
Drouhin- overall did well, Griottes coming around nicely. 08 Musigny from them was impeccably well made (if painfully young) when I had it 5 years ago

Roumier- Village Chambolle is incredible and starting to come into its own.

Lucien LeMoine- While still missing some of the terroir character as LeMoine typically does, the wines are really fun. The GC are coming into their own. If you can find the Mazis or the VR 1er crus, get every bottle if the price is right.

Jadot- hit or miss

Bouchard- Solid at the GC level with time to grow, village and many 1er cru are pretty shrill in my limited experience

Potel- Struggled in the vintage. Stay away.

Ponsot- Had the Clos St Denis and CdlR recently- both great. Village level wines are at the end of their drinking window.

As with most of the commentary above, if you like brighter, acid driven wines, there are some stunning balanced examples to be had in 08 but lots of variability.

Chevillon had a strong year. A local wholesaler about a decade ago seriously overbought the line and ended up dumping the lot at some ridiculously low prices.

The 08 Rousseau Ruchottes is drinking excellently now as well Fred. Open and youthful as you say… but then again how often have you had a Rousseau that is truly closed or tired? flirtysmile

I find the 08 Arnoux Lachaux overextracted, personally - I think the increase in quality began in 2009. I think Hudelot Noellat did really well in 08, which is really impressive given that it’s Charles’ first vintage there.

The one 08 disappointment for me in 08 continues to be Fourrier - just a really weird vintage for Jean Marie. Post 05 it’s the one Fourrier vintage I don’t like.

I’m more concerned with Fourrier’s 11’s. They seem to be aging very fast. Taste is good, but the colors are already quite brown.

Overall I like many '08’s. Avoid this vintage if you don’t like acidity.

Not a great fan of 2008 in red, in opposite to one or another critic.
I often find the acidity pronounced, and the wines lacking in substance.
But better than 2011.
Last I had Bertheau Charmes and Harmand-Geoffroy Gevrey VV - both in that style.

Opened a Domaine Maume Gevrey-Chambertin 2008 last night and was surprised to find it a touch lacking in acidity. It was actually quite nice, if a bit simple. And to think I was worried about it being too shrill…

I really like Fourrier’s 11s, haven’t had those issues at all. Opened an 11 Champeaux a few months ago and it was great.

These are useful datapoints. While 08 has its faults, its biggest advantage was how insanely reasonable the wines were on release.

I bought M-G Ruchottes for $125. Dujac CdlR and CSD for $180. Ponsot CdlR for $180. Etc.

Only a decade ago but kind of another era.

So regardless whether they really compare with 09s/10s etc (they probably don’t), the value was phenomenal.

Honestly, the difference between ‘08 values to 18-20 high priced, new-era burgs leaves me confused and a bit sad. The new-era ripe wines might bother me even more than the prices.

It is an interesting perspective regarding ripeness. It is why I mentioned Fourrier’s comment regarding 2008 reminding him of vintages from the ‘70s. FWIW, I opened Fourrier Cherbaudes 2008 a couple of years ago, and the wine was as tight and linear as could be imagined. I hope future bottles, and other 2008s, will be more generous.

It has probably been discussed here, but I have read that the pH for 2008 is actually not as low as perceived, and that high malic acid gives the impression that the overall acidity is lower than it actually is. If accurate, this could potentially be another reason 2008 is not as long lived as may be anticipated. Vintages with more phenolic maturity counterintuitively have lower pHs than perceived sometimes.

Bingo!

One of the nicest bottles I have had to date was earlier this year - 2008 Barthod Chambolle. Super nice.

NOOB tasting note warning:
Color had some brick but no sediment.
Absolutely delightful. Beautiful beautiful beautiful nose with shrooms, earth, and the fruit trying to claw its way out of the glass. Flavor was very acidic but after a couple of hours the fruit was charming.

Beautiful wine.

Reluctantly left a glass for day2 and earth flavors showed up stronger on the nose with plenty of fruit and acidity in balance on the palate.

Need to try more barthod! Also, it makes me realize that CT scores don’t mean much w/o the descriptions.

Nice note; Barthod wouldn’t have been my first choice for an 08 to open but glad it was nice. 07 and 10 bons batons have been nice lately but I haven’t thought about opening village or 1er. The one 17 beaux bruns I opened was super tight.

1996 all over again.

IMHO, 2008 has always been lighter bodied, redder fruited, and prettier. Still tough going if you don’t like acidity.

I had a disappointing Marsannay from Roty yesterday. I like these wines in most vintages but this one was bizarre. Fruit obviously not ripe but a clear oxidation aspect also. I guess some high end Burgundies may be fine but a great vintage is one when the entry level wines are good. This is not the case in 08 based on several wines I had from this difficult vintage for reds. Whites are a different story.

Bought fairly deep in 2008 after the La Paulee tastings, 9 mixed cases. No hurry to open any. The old saying: “buy little wines in big vintages”, probably works in reverse (sort of). Better to have purchased higher up the food chain in 2008. YMMV.

RT