How long has your cooling unit lasted?

Mine is in basement as well, but right below family room and we hear it through the floor (or when using basement) when it’s running… I might experiment with the timer. I wonder if I let it turn on only one an hour for a 15 min cycle if that would be enough to keep it at 55F (it doesn’t ever seem to run the compressor for more than ~10 mins)… but thinking about it, I doubt it will just turn back on automatically when given power again by the timer… hmmmm.

Those running window a/c units tricked out or using a coolbot, do they run on a dedicated circuit or is any elec outlet robust enough for the a/c start-up load?
Contemplate this method every year around this time as the passive cellar starts to warm with the soil (63 right now, gets to 65/66 by late August/Sep). So far, every year I’ve decided a month or two at 65 is probably fine as the bulk of the year is 60 or below.

They’re window units, so designed to run on a “normal” outlet - mine is 15A (maybe 20A), which is fine. I think that units over 12kBTU may require 20A and larger than that may need 30A - just have to check the manufacturer instructions.

I’ve had no issues with the circuit at startup - I think the draw once started is maybe 4-5A so that’s not a real issue. Circuit isn’t dedicated, but doesn’t have a lot of other loads on it.

The start-up load is no greater than running the a/c normally in a bedroom or something; it just stays on longer, confused into thinking the room is 78 degrees when it is in fact 58 (or whatever).

Every time I have replaced the unit (on #4 now I think) it takes a while to get it calibrated properly. But I could easily have it at 55 now if I wanted, and probably below that. But I’m old.

First one lasted about 20 years. It only ran about 5 months out of the year so I’m not sure if I’m comparing apples to apples with everyone else.

Second one is a slightly used unit going on 3 years now.

Danby Silhouette that holds close to 100 bottles if you pull out the bottom racks and stack bottles - purchased in 2006 and 15 years later still running (loudly) strong. Only had to replace the temperature control panel and it cost $65 to repair. Solid investment.

My dad gave me his Eurocave in 1996. I think he had it for a couple of years before he gave it to me. It’s been moved at least 7 years. It lives in a garage where it consistently reaches over 100 degrees. It is still going strong. I have never done a single bit of maintenance to it. When it dies, I will buy another Eurocave.

They usually don’t require a special outlet, but depending on size and amp draw very likely require, by code, a dedicated circuit. I assume we are talking about 120VAC units. (In the US I don’t know of any homes that have 230VAC single phase multi outlet circuits, so we don’t need to consider those.) Anything other than a very small, maybe 4000BTU unit likely requires a dedicated circuit. It isn’t so much for the starting load, but rather the continuous load. You really aren’t allowed to put 20 amps of continuous load on a 20 amp circuit. You’re limited to 80%. So even a Microwave oven of any size requires a dedicated circuit. Really, most folks have no clue about this stuff, so it’s just good that you are asking.

1 Like

This thread is so much more positive than the one on wine fridges

Just to give a sense - an 8000 BTU window unit draws 6.4amps.

My Vinoteque 700QT is 23 years old now. The cooling unit is flawless. I think the cooling unit is a whisperkool (but my memory could be wrong).
I found an issue with the temperature probe, that is stuck in a wine bottle filled with water.
It had an issue when stuck in water, but works just fine when it is dry.

I have a Breezaire WKL 4000 that is still going strong after 20 years. But it doesn’t need to run very often, as my cellar is insulated to R40 in the floor, walls, and ceiling.

The coil in my CellarPro failed approximately 2.5 years after installation.

20 years on the unit in my LeCache (can’t remember what it is) but I wanted to point out that Robert.A.Jr. suggested I purchase a Wine Enthusiast branded unit as he liked his, and when it arrived I was surprised to see it was not a cellar with a ‘cooling unit’, rather it was basically a refrigerator - coils on the back. I know it has been discussed countless times that a refrigerator isn’t ideal for wine as it doesn’t create a consistent, ideal humidity level, so I was a bit concerned. Well surprise surprise, wine geeks are wrong (at least in this case) as I’m maintaining 50-60% in that cellar all the time! Moreover, it runs FAR less, like 80% less, than the prior cellar that had a traditional cooling unit in it, which this Wine Enthusiast model replaced.

13 years on a Vinotemp unit in an uninsulated garage that occasionally reached 100F in the summer months. It gave up last year…

Twenty five years for the Vinoteque and it’s still fine.

Todd - the people who say that the “refrigerator” style isn’t good don’t know what they’re talking about. It’s just about a way to keep things cool and it’s probably better than blowing air around with a fan. In addition, you can have it serviced by any refrigerator repair guy, because it’s the same technology. Mine is exactly that type and I bought it because of that.

17 years, might be a little longer actually.

12 years for the Vinotemp in my garage. Get’s pretty hot in the summer, but the unit does not run much of the winter. My parents Vinotemp is over 20 years and still going in a garage in Grass Valley, where it is extremely hot in the summer.

I am over 20 with a Vinotheque QT. However I did have some parts replaced at year 12.

I have one that is still going after 15+ years. Another, from the same manufacturer, lasted only 5.