How much did you pay for your wine collection?

Separate thread topic entirely, but I would be curious which bottles are known depreciators!

Not sure I agree with this. All depends on the contents .

I know my existing cellar, undrunk, is ostensibly worth more than I’ve spent on all bottles, including those consumed, since I started keeping track. I choose to think this statistic means I’ve been drinking for free.

I shoplifted most of it.

Most everything except for a handful of wines (a few remaining CA “cults”, top Burgs/BDX, Yquem, etc.).

All bottles eventually devalues if holding too long.

I wish I’d thought of that, but regardless I’m stealing it. Phew—now I feel better about the whole thing!!!

Crossed 100 responses within a half day…! A reasonable sample size of responses.

He’s just asking what you paid for what’s currently in the cellar.

I know what he’s asking, Charlie. I read English pretty well. People started talking about appreciation and the like so I shared a statistic on that subject that pleases me. It would not be a discussion if every post had to be a direct answer to the OP.

Unless you are selling it or borrowing money against it it’s not worth any more than you paid for it.

Mine is worth a lot less than I originally paid for it, because I actually drink what I collect. You know the old adage - You don’t buy beer, you just rent it.

Again, wine collecting is defined as the interactive confluence of Obsessive-Compulsive, Hoarding, and Affluenza disorders.

You forgot alcoholism. In some (many?) cases.

Somehwere between too much and no idea.

I’m with Neal. I haven’t got that level of record keeping at my fingertips. I guesstimated on the order of magnitude.

Cheers,
fred

An incredibly comforting thought. I think I shall claim to think the same thing.

Yes and amen :slight_smile:

I’ve been asked this question by ‘non-collectors/civilians’ before (and “what your MOST expensive bottle”) but I’ve never been asked by a fellow collector before. I’d like to see my spread against retail because I consider myself a hard core bargain shopper.

I can’t believe no one has complained yet about the wide bands in the upper tiers! I will go first.