How often do you know the wine?

Yeah the more I dig in, the more I realize there’s just no way to know it all. I’ve been watching documentary after documentary and pick up a bit more knowledge with each one. And then there are the constant texts back and forth with my father-in-law who’s a wealth of info. I’ve learned so much just in the past week it’s like being in school again. Granted, some things I’m still processing. For example I just learned yesterday there’s no such thing as a Bordeaux grape; it’s a region in France where Bordeaux comes from. So then why / how are there Bordeaux blends from anywhere outside of France?? Marketing I guess?

I’m French so I knew that, but I see how it’s not obvious for people outside of France!

Bordeaux is indeed a wine region in the south-west of France, with different appellations within (Bordeaux, Bordeaux Supérieur, Médoc, Margaux, etc).
There are a few grapes used in this region: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc & others (for red wines); Sauvignon Blanc, Sémillon and Muscadelle (for white wines). These grapes originate from Bordeaux and they’re mostly blended in the wines. That’s why we generally call this Bordeaux blends, in reference to red wines made predominantly from CS + Merlot and to white wines made predominantly from SB + Sémillon.
It’s the traditional style for the Bordeaux wine region. It’s been exported pretty much everywhere in the world now. As Bordeaux is commonly seen as a high-quality region, the other regions that use the same grapes call their wines made from the traditional grape varieties from Bordeaux “Bordeaux blends”.

Hope this helps! :wink:

I’m French so I knew that, but I see how it’s not obvious for people outside of France!

Bordeaux is indeed a wine region in the south-west of France, with different appellations within (Bordeaux, Bordeaux Supérieur, Médoc, Margaux, etc).
There are a few grapes used in this region: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc & others (for red wines); Sauvignon Blanc, Sémillon and Muscadelle (for white wines). These grapes originate from Bordeaux and they’re mostly blended in the wines. That’s why we generally call this Bordeaux blends, in reference to red wines made predominantly from CS + Merlot and to white wines made predominantly from SB + Sémillon.
It’s the traditional style for the Bordeaux wine region. It’s been exported pretty much everywhere in the world now. As Bordeaux is commonly seen as a high-quality region, the other regions that use the same grapes call their wines made from the traditional grape varieties from Bordeaux “Bordeaux blends”.

Hope this helps! :wink:

That definitely helps! Yours is the best explanation I’ve read so far, so thank you! Really appreciate it, Alexia! [cheers.gif]

Awesome, I’m glad it helped! It’s a pleasure :wink: