How old were you when you started collecting wine?

First got interested once I got out of school at 23. Wasn’t really collecting in earnest until 25/26 though.

About 25. I paid $110 for a case of 1970 Chateau Figeac.

i used to buy a bottle of (insert whatever–Ramonet, Roumier, DRC, Raveneau), wait a week or two, try it, and be able to go back a week or more later and get more of it. Now these “cherries” are sold in back of the store and never make it out to the floor, sold in one or two b lots. It is indeed a different world.

Started at 20, went through a hiatus from 24-28 and resumed in earnest at 29.

You are lucky to start early. I started 30 years ago when I was in my early 30’s. I bought what I could back then, but sure wish I had more older wines in the cellar now! As a result, mine is weighted towards 2000 and on, just hope I can still enjoy those wines when I am in my 70’s.

I was born into a wine-business family so I guess I never really had a chance at pursuing other hobbies. I started buying-to-age around 19, when I got my first job at a wine shop. Thousand-something bottles later, I’m 33.

Bought my first (dozen) case at 24. 40 this year and I can just about stop buying now!

I started working in a wine shop the day after my last day of high school. I caught the wine bug about a year or two into my employment.

Once I became the wine buyer and in-house wine nerd, my opportunities to taste exploded: I started collecting bottles, attending local wine tastings and dinners.

I took a hiatus from the wine thing for a few years, then I really got serious approximately four years ago. I am 37 now.

can but won’t.

To be honest, 15. Started with 79 and 81 Pichon Lalande and 78 Mondavi Reserve. Went to BDX with my family when I was 16. Been collecting for 33 years at this point. If I knew then, what I know now . . .

For me it was a double humped camel. I started when I was in college and working at a restaurant paying wholesale prices, getting samples, and doing a ton in trade all in a wine growing region. Then I got a “real job” after college and starting consuming my collection to the point where I typically had no more then a case or two on hand and great wines being funded by business expenses, and time consumed raising small kids. With my girls finally into their teens (where drinking is strictly required to cope with the insanity of treatment of girls in today’s culture) I have grown back to about 500 bottles and I’m paying discounted retail where possible, but mostly mailing list prices.

Started at age 22 while in school and living in a group house. Bought my first apt at age 26 and had about 150 bottles to move.

23, first year in law school.

Vinfolio was the first place I ever purchased from online. I still have the bottle 2003 Giscours.

Ha true. But I do need to cut back or I will just end up selling stuff. At least while we are out here consumption levels are around only around 50 bottles a year.

Started at age 19 with Louis Martini’s wines. Stopped at age 30 due to migraines. 25 years later… migraines stopped at age 55. Started buying wine again.

This.

Interesting question and interesting answers!

I grew up with “wine is part of the meal” mentality.

I got way into cocktails in college from a really good bartender friend and started collecting slowly right at 21.

I’m now 30 and am running out of space with my 1K+ bottles. The downward spiral of where I am purchasing more than consuming started 3 or so years ago.

I am 59, I don’t collect wine, I buy it and then I drink it.

1. I signed up on practically every ca mailing list. Got my first screagle and sqn offer at 28/29. All downhill from there.