How to correctly pronounce Piper Heidsieck in French?

Maybe depends on which part of France they are from?

Remulak. Itā€™s a small village.

Remulak, Ha!
That was the Coneheads home planet, oui?

Somehow, when I read this question images of Steve Martin pop up.

Cā€™est Ƨa.

There are a lot of German names in Champagne because a lot of Germans with initiative and investment capital flocked to the region as it became Rich & Famous.

Of course they were accepted or rejected by locals based on the way they did business and the way treated the neighbor farmers whose grapes they purchased.

During the 1910 - 11 Champagne riots, not a single life was lost as Moet, Mumm and Piper were burned to the ground and every bottle in their cellars smashed. Bollinger and Roederer were untouched.

When in France in a restaurant, I would order PEEP-er Iā€™D-zeek. I used to know some linguistics, but that was then and this is now.

Dan Kravitz

Most French people would just say Peepur or Peepair, not daring to try the Heidsieck bit, itā€™s far too tricky!

Just Order Bollinger. [stirthepothal.gif]

I still donā€™t get the why. The French ā€œmispronounceā€ the name and you want try to follow suit?

I think itā€™s the opposite. Whatever you do is wrong!

Ha! This is so true, James!

Or Dom!

Much easier to say. With panache.

Piper Heidseick may be a German name, but it is a French Champagne house. However they pronounce it, that is therefore the correct pronunciation. I expect that is the general answer here: Peepehr Idezeek. If you ask for a pronunciation on the internet, thatā€™s what you get.

Yong asked for a pronunciation on the internet and got lOTS of alternatives.

Some additional information.

So according to this, I was saying Heidsieck correctly. Lol. [scratch.gif]

As long as you pronounce the ā€œrā€ in the back of your tongue / throat like the French do, youā€™re OK with Pee-pair Eyed-zeek; but if you donā€™t, try Pee-pae Eyed-zeek. I would say that Pee-pay is fine also, but Americans tend to make a ā€˜eeā€™ sound at the end of ā€œpayā€; which is incorrect. Try to get that back of tongue ā€œrā€ though, like youā€™re beginning to gargle.

Agree with above post: pee-pair ayed-seek.
That would be an ā€œsā€ rather than a ā€œzā€.

Lots of examples of French pronunciation of foreign languages being different in the world of wine: Palmer, Rothschild, Barton, Smith, etc.

Alex R.

I think if we are going to pronounce non-French Champagne houses the French way, we should also pronounce ā€œChampagneā€ itself as the French do.