How to store lettuce

Cost of a head of lettuce is more than even a single roll of paper towels, let alone the few half sheets I use for this storage method. And as others have noted, we don’t just toss them when done, they live useful second lives to wipe down counters, clean up spills, etc. I try to buy lettuce once a week at the farmers market, sometimes we don’t get to it, sometimes my favorite vendors don’t have what I’m looking for, so anything that keeps thing fresh and usable longer is a good thing.

I buy 3-4 little gems per week ($1 each at the farmers market), store in the crisper eat them before 1 week is over. If they start wilting or getting soggy (usually around day 8-10 they get trashed. 1 little gem makes a 1 person salad.

guess i wasn’t the only one thinking this

I find that tomatoes develop a mealy texture in the fridge.

I was going for the spelling joke :wink:

newhere

Nah, I just make lousy jokes.

Salad spinner and don’t remove the water. Put into the refrigerator. The lettuce lasts at least 10 to 14 days. Sometimes more.

I used flour sack towels

Avoid wasting money on a spinner. Toss the lettuce into a tall sauce pot. Shake and pour out the water at the bottom, about three or four times. Toss the lettuce into a paper bag. Done.

I’ve been using the same salad spinner for the past 25+ years. An excellent investment that is used for more than just salad

Now we’re talking. I’m going to try that.

We use a rubbermaid freshworks container. It runs off the same principal as everyone else here is talking about. There is a plastic insert to keep the leaves from sitting in any residual water at the bottom of the container and the top has vent holes to make sure we don’t get wilting. Most of our lettuce come either from our garden or the local farmers market, so we don’t have any plastic packaging to begin with. This lets me sleep at night knowing that I’m not moving lettuce from one plastic container to another.

If and when we have lettuce, tomatoes, etc go bad it is very easy to convince yourself that you NEED the waste for your compost pile. Another unintended plus of gardening a significant portion of your own food. Rotting lemon or moldy bread? whew good thing! I was running low on greens and we need compost for the spring. So I suppose its safe to say we waste NO food either. neener

Worrying about the cost, or waste, of a few paper towels, while opening $200 bottles of wine, seems a little misplaced neener

More likely attrocious math skills. A roll of Bounty (the expensive towels) is like 4 cents a sheet ballpark (a 4 pack from target will be 2 cents a sheet at their current offfer)- there are cheaper brands and they come in half sheet options. So 16 cents for 4 sheets, I’m not getting lettuce for under 40 cents a head even at the big bag at Costco (and probably more, I just don’t remember. And I usually buy the super-expensive salad.

Alan, thanks for starting the thread. I extended my fancy Organic Girls lettuce ($4 a box) for about 8 cents worth of paper towels.

What is it about lettuce that brings out the poverty mentality. $25 buys a very nice spinner, and it’s much easier and more effective for me. I probably paid $12 for mine 15 years ago. Plus they make a nice whirring sound!

Ours is probably 20 years old, showing some wear, maybe start of a couple of cracks. Now I’m afraid and ashamed to buy a new one. I think I’ll buy another case of wine instead [wow.gif]

HOW DO YOU THINK I CAN AFFORD THAT!?

That’s a lot of paper towels and toilet paper to forego! Don’t be wastin’ any of that Saran wrap trying to cure TCA neener

those wines go straight into the ol sink

1 Like