How would we rate 1982 Bordeaux if they were released today?

I don’t agree. We each have our price point. So if you think a wine is too much money, I get that.

What wines sold for almost 40 years ago has zero relevance.

IMO, with the exception of the First Growths and a handful of the top Right Bank wines, The best current Bordeaux remains priced competitively priced when compared to the top wines from any wine region.

Frankly, it’s cheap when compared to California and Burgundy.

It’s a mixed bag, some 2016s are pretty expensive, but many are still quite attractive. I promised myself not to buy any and still fell prey. And remain more tempted. I like this vintage very much.

While I’ve never done that, there’s merit in placing really big bets when you know a vintage is special.

I remember after reading Parker about 1982s, I found an issue of Decanter at a magazine store that reviewed the 1982s. Cannot remember who wrote the article but was one of the big English guys at the time. They were very high on the vintage and liked pretty much the same wines as Parker. Gave me a lot of confidence to buy.

And the vintage I sometimes find pruny is 2009, not 1982.

I was later into the game, having discovered bdx with the ‘85 vintage. But from what I have tasted and drank, the highs were pretty damned high…some mind-boggling-so. So I would rate the vintage high.

As an investment, probably not. You are never going to see the same returns as you did with the 1982s. You may see some gain, but I doubt whether you will get more than putting money into stocks.

I will write about futures, as 2016s have entered the secondary market. But some of it is relevant.

There are a few good reasons to buy futures.

1. You know that the wines have never been mistreated.
  2. You can choose formats. I like both half bottles and magnums, which cost about the same as a future, but have a significant premium in the secondary market.
  3. You can usually find limited production wines more easily.

Downside
Cost: opportunity cost plus the hard costs of storage insurance etc.
Your vendor may go out of business, in which case you have no comeback.

Mark, I’m just talking about wine to drink. I have never bought wine as an investment, and hope to drink all that I have. Viewed in that light, 2016 seems like a major buy vintage.

2 Likes

Interesting… that’s not consistent with recent CT reviews (I don’t mean to imply you are wrong). I wonder if maybe the wine has aged to a point where tertiary notes improved the wine (??). I suppose I will find out soon enough. Thanks for the feedback though, I will keep in mind when I drink it.

I don’t recommend taking on long term debt to buy perishables, but it worked out. $20-25K bought a ton of the very best ‘82s at true futures pricing at a time when the franc was historically weak vs the dollar. In retrospect, I was lucky rather than good.

Mark,

Very interesting perspective! Only time will tell, but, this broad base is probably unmatched.

My 1982 favorites, with some not mature yet:

Bon Pasteur
Calon Segur
Cos d’Estournel
Ducru Beaucaillou
Grand Puy Lacoste
Gruaud Larose
Haut Brion
La Tour Haut-Brion
Lafite Rothschild
Lafleur
L’Arrosee
Latour
Le Gay
Le Pin
Leoville Las Cases
Leoville Poyferre
L’Evangile
Margaux
Mission Haut Brion
Mouton Rothschild
Pichon Lalande
Talbot

Based on knowledge, viticulture, wine making, equipment and technology, then and now…NONE!

For sure. But, to be honest, there are times when I go to pull a bottle and realize that it’s “worth” quite a bit more than I had thought, as a result of appreciation. I really dislike that as I would prefer to simply grab what I want for the given time. There have been times when I have sold wines, but only because I no longer appreciated their taste and not to capitalize on appreciation of value.

Could be. The question then is will you be able to find wines with good provenance for less money than your outgoings would be if you bought now. I am pretty sure you can buy cheaper in the future.

That being said, I suspect that for many here, being sure of the condition and buying the formats you want outweigh the monetary advantage of saving a few dollars in the secondary market.

Fascinating thread, thank you all for your perspectives. I got in the Bordeaux game decades (3 to be exact!) after 1982 and so haven’t had many. The few I’ve had have been lovely (LLC was amazing) but prices now are prohibitive, especially relative to, say, 1985, 1989, 1996. I’m happy to hear the comparisons to 2005 - I’ve back-filled a lot of that vintage. I’ve avoided ‘16 though. I’m a bit too old for it.

A great topic! I’m a bit too young to have tasted the 82’s in their youth, as the 95’s were the first wines I bought upon release. Honestly, I’ve never met a young red Bordeaux (less than 5 years old) that I’ve enjoyed, so I would have been at the mercy of the critic reviews! I like to think that I would have purchased cases of GPL, as I’ve done with just about every excellent vintage since the ‘95!

How about the vintage itself then? Now you’re all talking about the wineries. How was the vintage itself compared to the ones we have now? If the 2021 growing season would be identical to 1982, how would that compare? Do you think we’d have another legendary vintage?

Absolutely - this is the whole point. It was the combination of ripeness, balance and freshness that made them so special.

I didn’t know of Parker at the time, only discovering his book a few years later, but I do remember that the few British critics I had access to were not over-confident about the ageing potential. In their defence, I think the vintage was at the time so atypical that the usual criteria could not be applied, so they were slightly wrongfooted.

It’s true that lots of today’s top producers were not performing at their best then - but as Thomas pointed out, that wasn’t really the point if you were a young whippersnapper like me - I was drinking the cheaper stuff from the Médoc and St.Emilion, which was just sensational. Another huge difference was the lack of consultants - yes, some producers blew it, but the wines were still enjoyable - and original.

If the same vintage came along today, I would think that some would do better than they did in 1982 but that many would simply wreck it by trying too hard. In fact I suspect that the same vintage has come along, more than once, but with different results.

I’m sorry, that sounds very fogeyish - there are obviously wines produced today that do manage to capture the same tastes as the 1982s - try some Clos du Jaugueyron, for example, or countless wines from the Loire.

As for 1982s to buy today, the only wine I know of which I can recommend without hesitation would be, as Maureen said, Gruaud Larose. I finished the last one last year and it was almost as good as the first. IMO Gruaud has never come close to repeating that level of quality since and in 1982, it comfortably beat all other St.Juliens except perhaps LLC.

1 Like

I think condition is an important point. The condition of wine I have tasted that has been bought on the secondary market has been distinctly mixed. Some of it has been quite good, but other bottles have been tired or shot when more properly stored bottles of the same wine have been really good. There really is no substitution for controlling the condition of the bottles of wine, even though doing so requires a great deal of patience.

… so a typical off-vintage … [whistle.gif]

Fortunately, I bought some 1982 Gruaud Larose on futures (I think I paid $126 a case) and have one bottle left.

I would put it about even with the 1982 Ducru and behind the LLC but ahead of the Leoville Barton.

$126? Ouch. I only had two Ducrus, which somehow never really took off, but no doubt there were better bottles.