How would you spend $1000/year on Zinfandel

That’s about how much I spend on Zin a year.
20% Ridge Geyserville (half a case = $200)
25% Bedrock OVZ (a case = $250) = 3 summer bbq’s and it’s gone
45% Bedrock Other (a scant case of Bedrock, Dolinsek, Monte Rosso, Papera and Oakville Farmhouse regularly, and a smattering of others)
10% other (Sometimes a couple Carlisle; this year Wilde Farm Bedrock Vineyard, which kicks ass)

That’s 2.5 cases of Zin, which actually reflects considerable restraint, as MTP makes his release notes so damn enticing every time.

I have never spent anywhere near $1000 on Zinfandel in a year and doubt I ever would do so, but if I did I would split it:

60% Ridge Geyserville
40% Ridge Lytton Springs

And, within that I would try to find some older examples.

neener

I’m not quite that extreme but similar.
Limerick, Carlisle, Bedrock, Boheme, Ridge, Frog’s…
Acorn is good too.

I’ve cut back on Turley. I’d go with a base of Carlisle and add in Turley, Limerick Lane and Martinelli

Carlisle, Black Sears, Ridge, Bedrock

You can easily spend that on 5-6 bottles of NAPA cabernet.

Based on how I do purchase zin, I would go with a mix of Carlisle and Bedrock (~ $300 each), and spread the last $400 among Turley, Bucklin, and Limerick Lane.

It’s funny, on first blush, $1000 on Zin does not sound like much. But when you consider the price-point of top-tier Zins, it actually turns out to be 2+ cases per year. That’s a lot of Zin. That’s probably the amount that I buy but I’m slowing down on accumulating Zin. It’s tough with producers like Bedrock, as Morgan makes so many damn fine, unique Zins and Zin-blends. You should at least grab a case or more of Bedrock. Grab some of the classic field blends like Heritage, Pagani. et al, and definitely make sure you grab 6 of the OV Zin, it’s arguably the best QPR in American wine. It’s a great wine to drink whenever, especially while the field blends mature. I think these field blends need time in the bottle. Then grab a case of Ridge, with Geyserville as the classic core purchase. That’s about $1000.

All 4 bottles?

LOL, I guess I shoulda scrolled up before I posted my near-identical advice. Oops. [cheers.gif]

I buy a fair amount of zin from a variety of producers, and one way I diversify is by keeping the bulk of my purchases in each AVA with specific producers.

For instance, Carlisle for RRV, Bedrock and Bucklin for Sonoma Valley, etc… I make exceptions but my focus with each producer is their “home” ava. It leaves some great wine on the table but it helps spread budget around.

Carlisle Papera, Pagani and Montafi would get a chunk.

Once and Future Teldeschi would certainly be in there.

Turley Ueberroth

Bedrock Bedrock, Bedrock Carlisle and his unicorn Wedrock if you can get your hands on one.

Like many others, Ridge (Geyser and Lytton), Bedrock (Heritage, Evangelho, smattering of others to try), Once and Future, Scherrer OVZ, and try the Montelena Zin. One of our favorites from non traditional Zin producer.

No Bedrock Monte Rosso Zin love?

Pretty much this.

Not that I ever plan out purchases but if I did it should look similar to
One case Hobo. $300-$360
Half case Wilde Farm. $120. Note historically been able to get this price.
Half case Bedrock OV. $120
Half case Bedrock SVD mainly Bedrock and Monte Rosso $250

Leaves roughly $150 for shipping and random purchases.

Great minds! The geyserville and OVZ are my go to party wines when gathering and feeding a bunch of friends… whether it’s bbq or tacos or a big roast.

No love for Fred Scherrer??

I’m a little north of $1500/yr on Zin now. Since I got priced out of Napa Cab several years ago, I decided to start buying more good Zin - and for considerably less money. Cheers!

Bedrock $400
Carlisle $650
Wilson $350
Pezzi King $300

I was just going to say:

• Carlisle and Ridge are the most obvious omissions in the OP’s zin budget

• Also, if you buy Scherrer zin on futures, they’re $300/case, which is a crazy good deal. You do have to buy them on futures to get that pricing, and frankly, the wines really benefit from at least a couple of years of bottle age beyond that, though you can certainly enjoy them sooner. But if you can start and continue the program, it’s a great way to fill part of your annual zin picture. The wines are beautiful, pure, balanced, ageworthy.