HUGE Price Increases at Bern's - 200%-500% Increases on Wine!

Sorry, but we pay federal income taxes even in florida. We just don’t have a state income tax.

1 Like

As someone who lives in Tampa Bay, I agree with observation about pricing. The prices have been creeping up for awhile with COVID accelerating the process in the last year.

At this point, the prime real estate of their list (i.e. Burgundy, Bordeaux, Champagne) has been well picked through. But if you go in with an open mind to other regions, Brad and Eric can usually find something interesting to make the experience memorable.

I’ve been once. It was awesome. I’m eager to return, regardless of these increases. While I love the notion of finding under-priced cherries, to me Bern’s is much more than its ultra-cold cellar. It’s also much more than just a steakhouse. It has an energy to it that’s fairly unique, and I’d still be enthused to get on a plane and let the somms find some cool stuff to drink.

1 Like

Bingo.

I’ve been there many times, I’m only 90 miles away. And always consider it a treat. Maybe the Santa Claus effect is waning, but it’s still a cool, unique place.

1 Like

John, you are 100% spot on here. And Robert is as well.

I went to Berns a few weeks ago and worked with Greg Mayer who successfully picked out some interesting options based upon my original guidance. Sure the prices are higher than before, but you’ll still find things you wish to drink at pricing you can handle. This being said, I did review the list for fun and found many prices to be on the very high end of the spectrum. Meal was fantastic though - it’s definitely a top 10 steakhouse in the country experience for me.

Some friends made a trip out just before the lockdown. That was exactly the concern the restaurant had. Certain people were really taking advantage of their policies. Imagine a group coming 3 days in a row, skimping on their food order and lingering a couple extra hours drinking their bargain wines, depriving the restaurant of another seating at that table. The restaurant may be making 25% or less on what they could’ve made for that table. (And being cheap, they probably rub the staff wrong with poor tips.)

So, the wealth transfer from local, family restauranteurs to the national elite of wine connoisseurs has come to an end?

[wow.gif] [snort.gif]

3 Likes

Berserkers aren’t market makers, so they’ll be fine.

We went to Bern’s three times during our visit to Tampa in March. I have a hard copy of the list that dates to around 2005 (from when we lived in Florida at the time). It was interesting to compare that list to the current list. Obviously many of the prices have increased, but certainly not all. Among the wines we had during the most recent trip, only one wine (a Cote Rotie from the 1970’s) had increased in price significantly from the 2005 list ($70 then, $450 now). In fact we had a Bordeaux from the 1920’s and a Burgundy from the 1950’s that was priced exactly the same today as it was on my list from 2005. To me there is still no better wine destination restaurant in the U.S.

I’m sorry - couldn’t disagree with the OP. This place has been selling ridiculous wines 200-500 percent below market for years. The fact that they want 165 bucks for a mondavi Zinfandel from the 1970s who cares.

99.999 percent of restaurants, auction houses or retailers in the USA can’t touch the depth of what they offer. I will happily support this business as a wino almost regardless of prics.

Recently was at Blackberry Farms and they have an amazing wine program with I think the 2nd largest wine cellar behind Berns in the USA and from a depth of diversity and aged wine they were still miles behind berns.

It was great getting 70 dollar bottles of ridge but I won’t ever stop going there even with price increases when I’m Tampa.

1 Like

Didn’t you hear? NYC is dead. [cheers.gif]

I knew that just by looking around.

Wait, what? 1000 guests a night? Those are banquet hall numbers. How on earth doses each plate get properly checked before it goes out, let alone properly cooked in the first place.

It’s the busiest restaurant I’ve ever seen. I showed up at opening, on a weeknight, and waited more than 90 mins for a solo seat at the bar.

Nobody goes there any more. It’s too crowded.

2 Likes

I am sure the hit to their business and employees last year was massive. Be happy they were able to make it out at all - many restaurants didn’t. The wine prices get a small uptick every year and a big uptick every few years, but they have never raised them as much as they should have, and they probably wish they had stepped in to protect the list sooner. So it’s pretty hard to begrudge them doing it now.

1 Like

I tried to order Yellow Tail when I was there because I thought it would be a funny photo. They refused to bring me a bottle. They said that they do not serve it to people who drink 1962 Hermitage.

1 Like

Agreed. My 375 of 1962 Delas Freres La Tourette was $32. I thought it was a typo because they had left out the 100s digit. I cannot begrudge them the price increases. All good things must come to an end.

Haha, I paid that 100s digit and then some when I got it years later. And worth every penny. Imagine when a Hack and an Alfert actually enjoyed the same wine, the moon was blue over Berns that night!

Disappointing to see the price increase. I find the food mediocre at best. The wine was the only draw. It’s a shame