Hyped Vintages that Disappointed

The US critics – including most prominently Parker – called it a profoundly heterogeneous and atypical vintage, with some monumental (if unusual) wines and a lot of flawed dreck. I don’t remember any of the major critics claiming it was a great or even very good vintage.

I would have thought the 05s were at least 5-7 years away from showing whatever they have to show. It may not be much of a vintage, but I am not sure I’d be able to tell one way or another ATM

I think you’re mainly right, but I believe Claude Kolm was an outlier and lauded the '93 vintage on release.

2007 Chateauneuf
1998 Barossa Shiraz

I would have said '97 generally in Italy; and is '96 Burgundy the elephant in the room? They were really being talked up when I was there when they were released and not just by the old ladies sitting in the cellars where we visited. I’m still waiting on most of mine–and the ones I had, most notably Jadot Richebourg, are definitely not bringing it. Bordeaux '05 could be another–waiting to see there also.

I think you’re right, but wasn’t Parker ecstatic about a bunch?

There have been lots of previous discussions of 96 Burgundies. I’m in haven’t-given-up-hope-yet camp. But I’ve been sitting on mine.

What did you think of them at the time? I’m curious. I tasted there for several days with Claude Kolm in November 1998, visiting top properties, and I thought the 96s were terrific— concentrated, structured and balanced.

Define “a bunch.” He certainly gushed about the St Estephe wines and the firsts (or at least most of them), and famously loved the Pavie “everyone” else hated. My memory is not as vivid as it once was. But he panned a ton of classified growths.

EDIT: on his vintage chart he rated Pomerol 84, Margaux 88, Pessac/Graves 88, St Emilion 90, and St Julien/Paulliac/St Estephe 95

Neal,

I agree–time will tell. But I’ve tasted wines in the past couple months that I would have thought would be rounding into form at least–Pichon Baron, the leovilles, etc. To my taste, they aren’t threatening to develop anything good. I’ve been skipping the 1st growths on your logic, but what I’ve tasted down the price spectrum has been scary.

Yes, John, I was also very impressed. But at the time, I was very much a newbie. Before that we had been “Pinotphiles,” drinking lots of Pinot from California, mainly Sta Maria, but also Oregon. We visited Burgundy when living a France for a few months and got to know the area and the wines. We bought about 40 generally inexpensive bottles that we drank during the remainder of our stay. But I did not really have anything to compare them to; later on, before the vintage shut down, I had more experience and they seemed promising. As I said, I, too, am holding on.

… and also an awful lot of quite disapointing ones - so mixed overall (and therefore disapointing).

Plus 1

2000 Piedmont is one of my least favorite vintages in the region.

I agree-'97 California reds have been great in my opinion. Victor, what '97 Cali did you think was bad?

Hmm interesting-I’ve had many great '97 California cabs. Any specific ones that you remember that were bad?

Not bad. Just a bit too ripe and sweet for my personal preference, despite the early touting of the vintage. Parkerization was taking hold, then.

I think it depends on your time horizon. I have a case of 2005 pichon baron and I haven’t been remotely tempted to open even a single bottle based on the structure of the vintage. Like 05 northern and a lot of 05 red burgundy, I don’t think it would be a worthwhile effort to open some of the bigger framed wines.
That said, you may well be right - but I also think it’s way too close to call.

I’ve lost count of all the vintages which were going to be the ones of the century. Most did not hold up.

Napa 2007, Nor Cal 2012

When the Vintages of the Century exceed one hundred, critics should critically re-assess.

Time is the remedy collectors always hope will cure any fault in wines. Since it’s the only thing we can do, I think it’s only natural that we lean on it. And of course, some of the time it works. Lots of wines do come around with age. But it might be worth getting a couple extra bottles as tasters if you don’t want to crack your solid cases. See if you feel that structure and youth are what is holding a wine like 05 Pichon Baron back. I found it flat and, if anything, sort of unstructured. But maybe it will come together.

For me personally, just given my own mix of variables like age, budget, time horizon etc., I’m shifting away from 05s and more toward 00s and then some 10s and a lot of 16s. But who knows–maybe i’ll be saying the same thing about 16s in 10 years.