I don't think it's counterfeit - a home run with 12 on base. Now it's been opened.

Pre 1800 Terrantez is going for >$3000 at auction right now. Sometimes up to $5000. I actually blame ourselves for the increase in prices due to this tasting. It publicized the rarity and greatness of old Terrantez.

1 Like

I think I bid $1000 and someone else gobbled it up. Sort of like my attempt to buy a Q. do Noval Nacional vertical back to 1960. I had a partner to bid on it but someone blew through our max and then had the audacity to break up the lot and put it out to auction the following month. :frowning:

Man, what an incredible tasting! I had not had the pleasure of reading that before Eric - thank you for posting! An embarrassment of riches doesn’t even cover it! A once in a lifetime event for sure - I really enjoyed the education and living vicariously through you [cheers.gif]

We opened the wine tonight at Crabtree’s Kittle House. Grapes picked in the year that Lincoln was shot - that means pre-phylloxera for sure. NOT a solera sherry. Bottled for the coronation of King George V in 1911. He was the grandson of Victoria and the grandfather of Elizabeth II.

The vote for the wine is 5 WOWs out of 5 for the nose and 4 WOWs out of 5 for the palate (my wife is not a big sherry fan). A great wine. Roasted pecans, cashews, hazelnuts, caramel, a bit of citrus acidity and a finish that lasts and lasts. A bit like the 1908 Madeira we opened in September but smoother with less acidity. I do not know how many bottles of this are left in the world but if I find another one at auction, those who are fait of heart need to get out of my way.

It is not often that I get to drink a wine with this much age, this much history and in such great condition. I count myself lucky to have had the chance.
Sherry at CKH revised.jpg

19 Likes

That’s just sooooooo cool. Glad it showed well for you and good luck finding another.

Awesome, thanks for sharing that Jay

Great story and pic Jay.
I did get to taste that 1908 Madeira and it was fantastic.(Thanks for sharing)
Glad this one was even better.

1 Like

Very glad it showed so well.

This makes me day … even moreso than the whuppin’ MI is puttin’ on MD right now! I’m so glad it showed well, Jay; thank you for posting! [cheers.gif]

Awesome Jay. Also to Brian - I seem to remember reading that note a long time ago.

[cheers.gif]

Usually, my TNs are the epitome of “boring TN.” This wine demanded I abandon my MO. To this day it remains – clearly – the best wine I’ve had.

So long as the Jets do not go into a long overtime tomorrow, I will drop off a few ounces with you tomorrow and you can tell people yourself. Then I Fedex another small bottle to Brian, without whose TN I would probably not have bid on it.

What a great story Jay - glad that you had such a great time with it!

Have I mentioned before that Jay Hack is one of the most generous people in the history of mankind?

Knowing my love of Sherry he saved a pour from his bottle and made the long drive down here to drop it off. I kept thinking I should tell him not to go to so much trouble but that was balanced by really, really wanting to try this.

Hauntingly beautiful nose. I’m getting hazelnuts, caramel, orange peel and even hints of ginger on the long complex palate. It starts out lush and then as the richness slowly fades on the near endless finish it becomes an ethereal mist of flavor.

I was taken back to the dinner about 20? years ago where I had my first Gonzalez Byass anada - a '68 which Joe Perry brought. Jay H. was there, as was Greg T. and Jesus Barquin. It started a love affair which has had me spending a lot more on Sherry than I ever thought likely.

If this was any better 2 days ago (seems unlikely but who knows) I can only assume that all the dinner attendees floated home without need for automotive transport.

Jay - I owe you one.

3 Likes

This post is long overdue … I got terribly behind in transcribing my TNs …

Jay, [thankyou.gif] [worship.gif]

1865 Gonzalez-Byass Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Coronation 1911 - Spain, Andalucía, Jerez-Xérès-Sherry (6/3/2022)
– tasted non-blind over approx. 45 minutes –

First of all, HUGE thank you! to Jay H for mailing me a generous sample of this wine. It is my understanding that it was my note from many years ago that encouraged him to purchase a bottle he happened upon; upon hearing this, I became nervous that his bottle may not show as magically as did the one I tasted from many years ago. Subsequent reports from Jay, and others, dashed those worries far far away, and – based on the sample sent to me – I can happily report this wine is as intergalactic as it ever has been!

So, as it is, this wine is, once again, the greatest fermented grape juice I’ve ever tasted! The first time I had this, it was the first sherry I’d ever tasted, so I didn’t have a frame of reference. Now, about a decade later I feel like I’m able to approach this with much greater understanding, not to mention a health dose of reverence. As for the wine itself: it comes across as a Palo Cortado with perhaps a bit of PX in there. The Nose is quite expressive, with nutty overtones and supporting elements of epoxy and raisins. On the palate there is a sense of sweetness (hence the PX surmise), but it finishes dry — so dry, in fact, it comes across as tannic.

Who knows how many bottles more bottles remain in this world — I just hope they all get drank in good health and good spirits! 100 pts., no brainer. Pure magic! Out of this world!! (100 pts.)

5 Likes

Brian G r a f s t r o m That tasting note is too long. Should be less than 42 words.

1 Like

[wow.gif] [wink.gif] [highfive.gif]