I guess smoke taint is a feature, not a bug

It appears to be a complicated model. But the freshness of the smoke makes a big difference. Current thinking is very much that closer the proximity of the fire the less time is needed for smoke taint/affect to occur. Paul Gordon posted a rule of thumb in the original smoke taint thread as well.

But even then, the research I saw indicated that it varies considerably, even in the same vineyard. It also does not seem to affect Chardonnay as readily as Pinot Noir. That’s based upon data from two different vineyards, and also corroborated from someone who has a lot of experiencewith smoke from 2008 and 2017.

1 Like

I’m actually doing a zoom talk on smoke taint tonight with our wine club. Washington, in general I would say, has skirted by the smoke taint problems. Every year we do see some taint here and there, but usually somewhat isolated incidences. 2020 was interesting as most of the fires were in CA and OR, too far away to cause taint, at least thats what we thought. I saw taint in some fruit from Horse Heaven Hills for 2020 caused by those fires. The weather patterns were such that a lot of the smoke from CA and OR was pushed north and somewhat out over the pacific where, looking at radar, it looked like it hit a large northern colder air mass and was condensed. Then it was pushed east and funneled right thru the gorge and Horse Heaven Hills. Hopefully its an anomaly that doesnt happen again. For the most part, the 2020 vintage is looking awesome up here. From my experience Cab. Franc and Mourvedre seem to be especially susceptible to taint. Yes, it IS taint…but that’s just my opinion. I feel it smothers terroir in severe cases and I cant tell where the wine is from…or the fire for that matter. Guaiacol is guaiacol, no matter what angle you look at it. Cheers!

2 Likes

Skin contact. Way more limited when crushing whites, when Pinot requires skin contact for color extraction. Everything else being equal.

And I am not yet sure I buy into “block by block” idea. I am a good number of miles away from a fire today, ~500 acres, and all I can smell and breath is smoke, all day long.

No, not skin contact.

First: My first samples were grape samples, so no maceration differences.

Second: smoke taint is bound in glycosides before harvest. It passes through the skin and becomes bound prior to harvest. So again-no maceration differences.

Third: while Rosé of Pinot Noir may have lower levels than fully macerated wines, it’s still higher than the Chardonnay.

We’re located in the Petaluma Gap, closer to the San Pablo Bay. The wind blowing in from the coast (the same one that gives us great acid and structure) brought the smoke from the coast where smoke was accumulating. So, far from the fires, but smoked in for days. We couldn’t imagine leaving the fruit on the vines, so we picked everything and through micro-ferments and testing we made decisions lot by lot. Smoke taint builds up on the skins. So we decide our best best was to: 1) handle the Chardonnay very carefully , safely, with a priority on as little skin contact as we could. All the PN and Syrah eventually was made into Rose, even the early lots had traces. For us, there was no option to produce it. Syrah tends to “cover” smoke better, but not pinot. The Rose, seems to be taint free. Bottom line, our Chardonnay, is actually beautiful, acid driven, tight, maybe e little too clean, but we didn’t want to spin stories. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Ana, as I was reading your post regarding chardonnay I was thinking to myself “this sounds good”.

What oak treatment did you decide on? Did the lean style change what you’ve done in the past?

Agree syrah can handle smoke better than PN. Probably because of expectations and food pairing.

Because of longer skin contact.

You should be a marketer for wineries, thats a great image. From what I’ve seen taint in winegrapes is a product of proximity, duration and intensity of the smoke, as well as the grape variety. We have seen brush fires come within 50 feet of a vineyard about 2 weeks after bloom that caused taint in the finished wine. It was really close and pretty intense smoke, but only lasted a few hours at most. Last year the fires were hundreds of miles away, but the smoke was around for weeks. Its all over the board. I can say though that if you did a controlled burn next to my vineyard and the wind was blowing in the wrong direction I’d be upset, to say the least.

It was a lot cheaper and easier for some wineries to not pick last year, especially if inventory was high due to loss of restaurant sales. Everyone had a reason to pick or not - smoke was only one of the factors.

Unless you have specific names and decision making based on inventory you, and I, can only GUESS, at best. Yes, I read same reports you did, heard from vineyard managers almost daily as fires raged, did my own micro ferments, but in the end, and as much as I hate to say it, seems big boys declining fruit turned out to be the right call in the end. You may be overlooking one key factor: While small producers rely on ETS and like to provide testing and results, and we know the clusterfark it turned last year, all big boys have good size labs on premises and can do all testing, and as often, as they want. So, their decision making, as much as one can claim otherwise, could actually be based on parameters available to them long before those same parameters were available to us.

And I am not sure what your point even is in a thread discussing smoke taint in PICKED FRUIT. Feel free to open another thread on no smoke taint in declined fruit, could be interesting, one never knows.

Translation: Say the same thing, but make sure you sound like a douche when doing so.

“Our featured free range visitors.”

You and I can only guess at best…

Why don’t we agree to let the wines be the wines. And consumers should taste everything before buying, which is smart and informative in a real way.

1 Like

Direct press? Really…

And see point 1 btw…

Victor, indulge me to drift a little and give you a suggested response to your concerned diners. . .

Several years ago we dined at L’Entrecote in Toulouse, France which is a modest restaurant with that single item on the menu served with a salad. Seconds of both are available gratis. As I neared the bottom of my bowl of salad, I spotted a caterpillar like insect crawling around. Alarmed, I managed to get myself in a huff, called over one of the wait staff, and pointed it out with disgust. Her response was Mais, monsieur, c’est natural and she simply took away the little creature.
BTW, I had seconds of the entrecote, but not the salad. Cheers!

The same happened to me in Paris. My view is that the snail evidenced a nutritious salad. It was funny but not horrifying in the least.

Thanks, I appreciate your perspective on this. I was a little flippant about the advice on language because it seems like it might invite being disingenuous, but I also realize how stressful this must be for every grower and producer out there. I do think it’s especially important to point out that smoke taint is very unpredictable, especially in that one can’t know how a certain site was affected just by looking at a map and knowing what decisions neighbors have made.

[cheers.gif]