I guess they don’t want you bringing mags

I think it’s similar thinking to the per bag weight limits on checked baggage.

Uhhhhh, I would make your views known to the manager and if they don’t get reasonable, not go there again. There are too many good restaurants in any city to deal with that.

+1

It only gets interesting when we start selling corkage default swaps on those bottles.

Why not just tell them that you are canceling your group’s reservation due to their policy and go somewhere else? It’s the only way they might revise their corkage.

My life observation has been most of the places that are shitty about corkage end up closing anyways. They’re adopting a Thomas Keller business practice without having the extraordinary business to justify it.

There isn’t much barrier of entry to the restaurant business so find a startup / new enterprise that doesn’t have crowds or a liquor license and see what they’ll offer.

so is it one-sixth or $7.50 for a half bottle?

Might scoop up the Jamet 2010 Cote Rotie on the list for $275.

Exactly. Tell them what you want. Money talks, BS walks.

Is it possible that it’s a $45 corkage fee or $225 for a “large format” bottle? As a business owner, I can basically see this scenario playing out … I’m guessing somebody* came in with a 3L bottle - or maybe even something comical like a 6L - and tried to get it served for $45 at which point the restaurant decided to implement a large format price that’s dummy-proof so their servers don’t have to do any math.

*It’s concurrently possible that this somebody said “$45 corkage?!? wtf?! OK … I’ll show you!” and brought a 6L bottle.

So the owner gets burned once, you get a story out of it to support corkage of $45 per 750 ml. Surely, this isn’t that hard to figure out.
As others noticed, 5 times the 750 ml is ridiculous. I doubt any baller with a 6 liter bottle hasn’t experienced $45 corkage.