I’m Not a Fan of Sweet Potato, but . . .

This looks outstanding. I’ll be making it in the next few days.

Hmmm. I usually think of balsamic glazed anything as the refuge of the damned, but this does sound pretty good.

One of my favorite foods (fig) and one of my least favorite (sweet potatoes). I do have confidence in Ottolenghi, though

My dog loves them!

Bake and serve.

1 Like

We also use these along with Yukons, maybe half as many sweet potatoes, when oven roasting in olive oil after tossing in the colander to create a surface slurry as described here. Don’t cut smaller than the Yukons, they will brown too fast. And when roasted whole, a good sweet potato should not require anything else sweet…should be sweet caramelized and moist with a wonderfully smooth glazed texture all on its own.

It is funny to me that North Carolina is the #1 sweet potato producer in the US but we greatly prefer organic California Garnets to local.

I’ll suggest ‘mashed’, just as you would an ordinary potato, but I reckon sweet potato lends itself to use of spices to liven it up (cumin a favourite)

Ah. Of course if you add some butter and sour cream, the glycemic load drops quite a bit.

Have you ever tried just baking them and putting a large piece of butter on the inside? They don’t need a lot of deconstruction. Wonderful.

some preparations I like
PXL_20210211_025736857.jpg
PXL_20201127_212236245.jpg
IMG_8629.JPG

I bake them often. Coat with Kosher salt and Chinese 5 spice. A little butter and a good sweet/savory combo with rack of lamb.

George

Opposing flavors work well with sweet potatoes, especially Indian. Spicy gobi aloo, saag aloo, aloo Marat, curries.

1 Like

Baked or microwaved with butter, s & p and chopped pecans.

Cook and mash them as white potatoes add of honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar, butter if you wish, maybe a touch of cinnamon. Great side for “winter” meals. Great side to duck.

Among the other ideas here.

From the OP. Does anyone have any preparation ideas that don’t involve sugar, honey, maple syrup, deep frying or marshmallows?

1 Like

roast with rosemary

2 Likes

Roast them whole, peel them, mash them with sesame oil and fresh grated ginger. (Credit to Deborah Madison since I found it years ago in one of her books).

I cut them lengthwise and put them on the smoker at 250 for a couple of hours. They need nothing after that.

Cubed small
Roasted hot with Berbere spice

As referenced already in this thread, sweet potatoes can be quite healthy and are considered to be a super food for dietary purposes and used often on the Whole30 diet plan. There is a nice casserole/quiche on the Whole30 which uses shredded slices of sweet potato in lieu of a pastry dough for the bottom of the casserole dish and then uses cubes of the potato within the egg mixture along with bacon and other veggies. It’s pretty darn good.

+1 they also add color contrast. They have a little more moisture than starchy/waxy potatoes so just keep that in mind when cooking.

My family has gotten used to my ‘aloo’ gobi being made with whatever carbohydrate roots are on hand…