I want to sample older vintages

Rare Wine Co. has excellent provenance for older wines, as does Chambers in NYC.

If you’re going to buy aged wine, buy from a purveyor who will accept returns if the bottle is off. Where are you? Do you have local stores with these kinds of wines? Otherwise stick to the solid retailers mentioned:
Chambers Street (NYC)
Benchmark (Northern CA)
Crush (NYC)

Some auction houses might also have things of interest, such as Hart Davis Hart (Chicago), Heritage & Winebid.

You’re going to pay closer to $250+ these days for a tasting of older wines, especially if it’s set up by a store or in a dinner format at a restaurant.

Is benchmark reputable? That’s always one of the top searches that comes up on winesesrcher but seems to have horror stories for reviews and shipping

I haven’t had issues, and I believe a few of the staff are active on the board.

1 Like

Wow excellent picks.

Really appreciate this thread. I’m a younger collector who is just starting out aging things in a deliberate way, and the advice here is top-notch.

My advice is to bring your wallet and come to Michigan and all your Q’s can be answered…I have too much wine…

1 Like

Check Wine Searcher. La Louviere 1990 in magnum for $120. Excellent wine and a great example for you to try especially sharing during the holidsys.