I was just offered a ton of large bottles including a 27 liter.

How does one even pour said bottle? Do you need a siphon?

maybe 15 years ago I was in a wine store in downtown SF and they had a 15L (?) sauterne for sale. It looked freakish, the glass wall must have been 1/2" thick at the neck.

thatā€™s a lot of sweet juice.

I had a 6L for my 50th and tried pouring from the bottle, screw that, just dumped it all into decanters.

thereā€™s always a better mouse trapā€¦

did you buy a case?

Yeah this was at the end of a 20ish course omakase meal with many Champagnes and other wines. We simply didnā€™t need that much Sauternes - 1.5L was sufficient.

[rofl.gif]

Iā€™ve had from 6L a bunch of times. A friend served '68 Monte Bello at his 70th and 75th birthdays, then Eric started popping various library vintages at the MB futures tastings. Opening - I havenā€™t paid enough attention, but thereā€™s some method with 2 or 3 waiters cork screws and some diagonal insertion. Pouring - from the bottle to decanters, then served from decanter. Line 'em up and have some assistance, so you can avoid tilting the bottle back and forth much.

Mark Golodetz wrote:
Who would buy this?
How do you know when to open it?
How do you deal with the shock and horror if it is corked?

Final question: what is the largest bottle you have opened and/or the largest bottle you have drunk from.

My late friend Dave Larsen had a 27 liter bottle, a few 15Lā€™s and several other big bottles.
He opened them for large parties, and the 27 liter was for his wedding, in 2017.
None corked, and they said it took a ā€˜long timeā€™ to open. They used that funnel to pour the wine into decanters.
My family attended this wedding and the reception where the wines were opened. Besides the 27 liter bottle of 2001 Steltzner Cab, there was a 5 liter bottle of Montelena chardonnay and a 9L of Gloria Ferrer sparkling wine. Below is a picture of the 27 liter bottle. And, yes, there was a lot of wine left over since there were around 45 guests! The estimate was that the bottle weighed around 135 pounds.
Magnums are the largest bottles we currently have in our cellar.

Ed
ed03.jpg

1 Like

Naturally but they only drank 1/4 of the bottle = 2 bottles.

AFTER SOME RESEARCH WITH MY WINE GROUP, IT WAS A 27 LITER :
ā€œIt was for sure a Charles Krug Vintage Select; it wasnā€™t 70s for sure and I donā€™t think 2000s, so - 80s or 90s ā€¦ā€

Not long ago, I bought a 3L, had a party, then turned the bottle into a table lamp. Looks nice.
What would I do with 27L bottle? Turn it into a sauna?

Put a BIG note in it and toss it in the ocean ??

1 Like

I had opened a 15L 1994 Rauzan Segla for my sons wedding.
Two people poured it into Magnum decanters and it showed beautifully in 2018.
The bottle was quite a conversation piece since almost nobody has ever seen anything like it. My son then made the empty bottle into a nightstand.
These big bottles have a huge wow factor and the plus was this was a lovely drinking BordeauxšŸ·

Bottle arrives on desert island. The stranded sailor grabs the bottle takes out the note.

It says ā€œyour car warranty has expiredā€¦ā€

(Not mine, but works here)

1 Like

I once had a 5L, but never found a time to open it and eventually sold it. I have opened two or three double mags at various times. Currently the largest bottles I have are mags, and I expect it to stay that way. Iā€™ve got thirty-some mags in the cellar ā€“ probably the only mags Iā€™ll buy going forward are whites and bubbly.

My method would be to drop it on the floor and then squeeze the wine out of the mop.

I have never seen a ā€œprimatā€ in real life.

Here is a picā€¦

Personally, I am saving up for one of theseā€¦

Iā€™ve been thinking moreā€¦does it have a tap in the bottom?

Wow!
That looks amazing but expensive.
Surely a great conversation piece at a wine function.

That would really make me feel inadequate pouring from my tiny little 750s.

Iā€™d feel like George Castanza after a brisk lake swim.

1 Like

Good One !

It would make an exquisite bong.