IDEALWine

I believe so, maybe UK? To be fair thats how it was with other countries previously so maybe theres a chance that has changed, but i doubt it.

Their wearhouse is located in France near Champagne, and that is where everything ships from. They only ship by the case, but they use the most robust Styrofoam shippers that I have ever received. They only ship once a month (I believe on the 30th). Shipping to the US takes about 7 - 10 days from the ship date via FedEx air. If you pay for shipping on the first of the month, you will need to wait a while to get your wines. I usually build a case or two across several auctions over a few months and then ship it all at once.

Hope that helps - cheers!

4 Likes

Thanks, gents. Good to have that cleared up (at least on wine-searcher, the way its location is presented seems a tad misleading however inadvertently).

Looks like shipping a case to the US is $120, right? How are tariffs, if any, handled these days?

There are no tariffs currently.

3 Likes

That is my udnerstanding as well.

On a side note, one reliable shop that I know of seems to offer shipping to the US (and H-K).
I couldn’t find any detail on shipping costs on their website so I guess you’d have to call or email them to get some info.

They are based in a lovely little town in Alsace, the shop is beautiful, and even though their selection is not as wide as it once was, and prices have gone up quite a bit, they still have a very good range with obviously a focus on Alsace. But some great stuff at pretty good prices in northern RhĂŽne and some Bourgogne.

(no affiliation with them).

No tariffs at the moment. I just had 2 cases delivered in November and I was not charged anything additional to the shipping I paid on the website.

1 Like

Anyone know how long the no tariff thing will last?

At least until January 20, 2025 
 :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve been looking at auctions on Idealwine. There are definitely deals to be had (relative to US auctions) if you can cope with the shipping. But what I’ve seen of interest is in a fairly narrow band - mostly Bordeaux and some high end wines in other categories. There’s almost no Italian or German wines, maybe no surprise for a French company?

I mentioned in the LĂ©oville thread how happy I was with them apart from their slack attention to detail regarding some lots.
Out of curiosity, I looked at PhĂ©lan on their website - lo and behold, they are selling two bottles of 1983
which was one of the three vintages recalled or not sold (83, 84 and 85), because the previous owner had used a pesticide which had contaminated all the vines. Worse still, they quote a score of 93 by Vinous. I’m pretty sure that nobody from Vinous ever gave such a score (how could they have done so - Vinous didn’t exist at the time?). I’ve written to IDealwine.