If Oregon had Grand Crus...

It wasn’t all easy and it wasn’t all fun. Some people put in a lot of work. Some people were complete dicks. I was neither. But I saw both up close and personal.

The AVA approval process is fairly intricate and requires a lot of hoops to be jumped through. In creating and delineating the AC
VAs, vineyards within the region had a voice(if they chose) in the decision making process. It was just ahead of my time, and I do know of a few things that created quite a bit of friction between a few producers but it was pretty minor in the big picture of the next 1000 years. The process had several well recognized supporters and plenty of folks who don’t currently use the AVAs.

Moving to a vineyard level would most assuredly involve LOTS of hurt feelings. People have their entire lives wrapped up in vineyards, and the cost of establishment and risks are enormous.

But as Rich noted, the process should take significant time, and in my opinion the criteria for GC would be very, very stringent. The criteria for a second tier, a la 1er Cru could be slightly more wide ranging, and to be fair…I think Oregon does have the ability to rival 1er Cru wines in quality(not copy) from a decent range of the AVAs. But the base assumption would need to be that lieu dits can produce great wines. And the cru status should be reserved for wines of significant distinction.

I would guess the process to get 1er Cru status should take roughly as long as getting season seats for Packers games.

Producer and vintage are important, and while great sites should make great wines, a hack could screw up fruit from Romanee Conti. So filtering for producer is important.

Last-as Jim said, everybody wants to be GC so websites will say what they want. And there’s more money and ego than when the AVAs were created.

Executing this isn’t likely, and it’s a hypothetical as Matt noted.

But as an idea for great vineyards in the Willamette Valley that are special sites, no one has mentioned Bethel Heights SE Block and Flat Block. No one has mentioned Cristom Marjorie(being replanted).

Those are sites that equal, IMO, any site mentioned in this thread. So who can say?

1 Like

Right, I was at Patton Valley Vineyard at the time and my recollection is of some pretty heated arguements. But hey, water under the bridge now.

Ridgecrest (not just for PN).

I thought about mentioning those sites, but the only bottles of them ive ever picked up are still sitting in my cellar. lol

I’m still not quite sure how I feel about Guildsomm at this point, and I know how I feel about Kruth… but there is a pretty good guildsomm podcast about the process with David Adelsheim

I just picked up my lot from the Herbfarm sale. I’m super excited to dig into the 1993s(also 1992 Bethel Heights Chenin Blanc). I may have over spent my budget a bit, but looking at how good the fills are on everything, I am pretty pleased at the wines.

Btw, any good maps where I can see these Crus?

There is a new map of Willamette Valley wine country that is a definite improvement on the old AVA maps(these are still on the WVWA site I believe), that is done in a style similar to the map of the Cote d’Or. But it is still somewhat confusing in places(IMO). It’s an improvement but I hope will be refined again in a few years.

Is this the new one: American Viticultural Areas | Willamette Valley Wineries

No, but if you go to the Willamette Valley Merchandise portion, the more detailed map is just after the Pendleton wool blanket [scratch.gif]

I love Pendleton and wear their shirt jackets in the cellar all the time…maybe they can do a weave of the AVA map on a blanket.

The map is soils based, which is pretty interesting. The soil lines are definitely not exact, I would imagine both for artistic and logistical reasons, but it does mean that you should not take its word as absolute fact (for example: the soils of Oracle Vineyard are incorrectly marked as being sedimentary, while they are quite obviously volcanic). It also does not offer nuances within soil types, the most well known volcanic soils for vineyards here are the clay based Jory and Nekia, but there are other types that are still volcanic, and would be very different from a terroir perspective.

It is also a little awkward getting used to East being the top of the map and North being to the left… but overall it is the best I have seen of the region so far. It gives a good view of where some of the vineyards that have been mentioned in this thread are, where they are in relation to each other, and also how much is unplanted and unknown.

$75 for your own copy, though if you search maps of the Willamette Valley and take a look at images you can see previews of it.

The UI on that site is interesting… but also, I followed that map through to everyvine.com which I hadn’t seen before. It shows all the vineyards and the AVA areas (using the search bar at the top, you can see Napa and other US regions as well - not sure what, if any, international ones): https://everyvine.com/Pages/Profile?id=55&type=Wineregion

1 Like

Really cool interactive map on the Everyvine. Interesting to be able to see some more granular information. Like here’s Fir Crest, where you can see some of the different blocks, clones planted, age of vines, elevation, etc. Still seems like a work in progress though. Not much information on soil types and some missing vineyard information, for example, not much granular information on Patricia Green’s Estate Vineyard and their blocks. But overall the most detailed information I’ve been able to gather for the WV. Hopefully they continue to add to the database

1 Like

Everyvine requires the vineyard owner (or someone involved) to enter the data. It isn’t entirely difficult but it’s also not 100% user friendly.

Everyvine used to have much more information about soils/aspect/elevation for the vineyards—but for some reason much of it disappeared last year. If you’re feeling ambitious, you can use Everyvine to pull a vineyard address/location and then use the USGS’ Web Soil Survey (Web Soil Survey - Home) to get the rest of the information. (Rodrigo, this seems right up your alley)

2 Likes

Down another Willamette Valley rabbit hole I go it seems…

Thanks for the link and more background information on Everyvine.

Given what you said, I was getting ready to send them an email and ask them about it since it sounded like it might just be a data pull error. But after looking at their website more thoroughly the lack of soil information seems deliberate. Seems they deliberately put that information behind a paywall and include that as part of one of their membership tiers, which makes sense since there is a cost to running a database of that size.

1 Like

Thank you

He passed away
“Mark Tarlov, Hollywood Producer Turned Oregon Vintner, Dies at Age 69”

They could have chosen to speak to other people and had an entirely different article.

White Rose when others other than just White Rose were producing wine from the vineyard.