If you could go back in time and collect one Bordeaux wine consistently over the years...?

Well-stored bottles of the 1955 Latour still have plenty of currant/red berry fruit. Admittedly, it isn’t necessarily easy to source really impeccable bottles of old wines, but great old wines still taste fresh—just more complex, more texturally sumptuous. That is true, whether we’re talking about e.g. 1928, 1961, 1982 or 1996.

2 Likes

I think it was always pricey, vis a vis the other Bordeaux. This is not going to answer Nate’s question, but I’ve always had a fondness for Pichon Lalande. Styles have changed so much over the last 30 years that I have a difficult time sussing out what would be of interest to me nowadays. Sorry.

If I had a magic time machine I wish I could have gotten more La Tour Haut Brion, Les Carmes Haut Brion, and Figeac over the years. And been more careful glugging back Latour a Pomerol…

Still happy that I got to enjoy them as much as I did though.

OP: There’s an ocean of great wine out there, both in and beyond Bordeaux, so don’t beat yourself up too much over this. Years from now, you’ll chuckle over bottles you’ll pull with old school price tags still on them…

Pichon Lalande, Pichon Baron and Pontet Canet

Petrus
Le Pin

What does this term mean? It would guard against bad vintages, inflation, bad expensive bottles, good expensive bottles?

Staying in the reasonable lane, I’d channel d’Armailhac or Clerc Milon from Pauillac, Talbot, LaGrange or Gloria from St Julien, Giscours and it’s stable mate du Tertre, or Prieure Lichine from Margaux.

This is literally my last month. I bought a ton of 2016’s $20-70 off of wine.com with all those coupon codes:)

A lot of bang for your buck with Haut Bailly these days compared to others IMO. You can backfill for decades and buy current releases.

Lunch bags

It really depends on what sort of Bordeaux you like, but if I had to choose a few stalwarts which seldom disappoint, it would be:

Léoville-Barton
Sociando Mallet - try the 01, 04 and 08 among recent vintages - excellent value
Giscours - but not from the 90s
Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre
Lagrange
Gruaud Larose
Domaine de Chevalier - but you need to be careful because of the style change (03 or 04, not sure when)

Protects your other more expensive goodies from being popped on a Tuesday night, on a whim for example, when you feel like drinking a mature Bordeaux. I think for Bordeaux fans, it is also important to have a notable chunk of Cru Bordeaux in their cellars, maturing, for regular drinking. Build up the pipeline now. One of the beauties of Bordeaux is their ability to mature and gain complexity through that process, even among many of the lower-priced wines. I had a 2000 Lanessan this week that was singing.

Leoville Barton
Cantenac Brown

PLL is a great call. I always enjoy them when I open and its been consistent quality for a long time.

cellar defenders are bottles that are cheap enough that you can open them and not feel bad about it and still enjoy it immensely , “defending” your expensive bottles that you want to cellar longer (or possibly share with a crowd who appreciates the nuances more).

Who’s is Alfert and where is his list? Thanks in advance.

He is the really studly, good-looking dude from Post Numbers 14 and 15. I know him well, his palate for Bordeaux is golden. :slight_smile:

I would concur with the Doc’s recommendation, except who the heck can afford Chateau Haut Brion these days!? It’s glorious stuff. Had a 1982 last week that was easily my WOTY.

I’m glad to hear it’s finally ready. The bottle I had around 2011 was still tight and closed.

Lynch Bages

1 Like

[rofl.gif]

Is that the “A” in your initials or a nickname?

Rausan Segla is a sentimental favorite. I got a screaming deal on a case of 85 in the early 90’s and was instantly smitten.