If you could go back in time and collect one German riesling consistently over the years...?

Where do you find this now? Which retailer?

Thanks! champagne.gif newhere

Sticking with the NY area, people like Robert Dentice (I’m guessing he will chime in here), Stephen Bitterolf, Collin Wagner (who works with Stephen at Von Boden), Clara Dalzell (Flatiron German buyer), John McIlleheny (Chambers German buyer), and others are the ones for this question. But in New York City plenty of retailers sell dry German wines now.

1 Like

Vinopolis in Portland is a good source.

1 Like

I see that you liked the '19 Briords, Peter. Please tell us more . . . TN?

Donnhoff Eiswein. The few I’ve had were spectacular.

If you keep watch on the various internet auctions (Winebid, Acker, Zachy’s etc.), those old Muller-Catoirs come up on occasion and most are still drinking beautifully. I have opened a few 89-92 era wines in the past couple of years that were very inexpensive (aside from the case of 92 TBA- but even that was a relative steal) and are absolutely magnificent now.

But I still share your wish- I drank too many of those wines young, and the occasional auction appearance gives me just enough to open them sparingly. I wish I had more today- especially the hauntingly good 1998s.

However the one thing I really wish I had bought from day 1 because they are practically impossible to find now is Emrich-Schonleber’s Auf der Lay. Magnums only, and at the auctions. 2008 was the first vintage.

I do keep an eye out at Winebid. I won’t buy from Zachys or Acker anymore except under very rare ethics-be-damned circumstances (although the Schwarz M-C category could potentially meet that high standard), which means I don’t track their offerings systematically.

They are good. I have a few treasures I’m lining up for post-COVID celebrations, and one of my 2001 OB Eiswein bottles is in play!

Hard to choose just one for each category!
For Auslese it would be Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Brucke.
Spätlese pre-2002 Müller-Catoir Haardter Herrenletten.
Kabinett would be Zilliken Saarburger Rausch
Not sure about Trocken/GG, I might go outside of the usual suspects. And for the sweeties it would almost certainly be an MC…and for the above choices please don’t make me select just one!

If Vinopolis still shipped to NJ I’d be afraid to go anywhere near the Inventory Reduction thread.

Depending how you look at it, routing my West Coast purchases through Domaine has been either been a godsend or an inventory reduction nightmare. Lately it’s been seeming more and more like the latter… [head-bang.gif]

If Keller and Egon Muller aren’t allowed, then probably Willi Schaefer kabinett for me, the Graacher Domprobst.

And I would make sure I never wasted a dollar on Cristoffel. Don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed a bottle, at any sweetness level. Just not for me.

I did buy Emrich-Schonleber, but I could still wish I’d bought more!

1 Like

Probably Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese (maybe Kabinett?)

I find the suggestion of Koehler Ruprecht RR always very appealing.

So for the dry wines, if you’re excluding Keller, it has to be Breuer, right? Haven’t fallen in love with the Nonnenberg, but the Berg wines? Wow.
A

Doesn’t have to be. There are many spectacular dry wines.

This is something I’ll be focusing on in the future.

1 Like

Yes, but that doesn’t really answer the question. To sensibly answer the question the wine not only has to be spectacular but also much harder or much pricier to obtain.

Only if it’s worth it. I have always found Breuer priced beyond its worth.

Good for you David!

Obligatory