If you tip your UPS guy, how much do you tip?

My wine is shipped to my office (ground level storefront) though I probably pick up 90% of purchases. I usually give UPS guy $25 at Christmas (and another $25 from my organization for other deliveries). FedEx ground guy likes wine, I usually give him a modest bottle (Chianti Classico last year).

When I get local deliveries (PJs, Wallys Auctions, Sherry Lehmann) I usually tip $5 or $10 if I’m there (if I’m out and someone else signs afraid no tip).

I’m giving mine a Chipotle gift-card.

I wouldn’t know if it’s the same guy as they leave everything outside my locked gate. If they DO ring the bell they’re gone before the 40 seconds passes for me to get out there.

In general people on the East Coast tip more than is customary here on the West Coast.

Holiday time…whatever the standard gift I am giving out (this year a box of chocolates) + a bottle of EH Taylor Bourbon.

Tip him, for what, for barely delivering my wine and rarely on time, not so much.

Oh dear, that might send him/her to the Hospital this year! [basic-smile.gif]

I don’t have that many wine deliveries. But today I was expecting a FedEx wine shipment that arrived at 10:00. I thanked him and he ran off. GSO was also on the schedule to deliver 6 bottles. No sign at 2:30 - I went to lunch at my local place a mile down the street, left a note where I would be, and told him to give the doorman the wine and there would be $20 waiting for him. Around 4:00 the staff found me in the bar at lunch and I went out an signed for it. And gave him the $20. Now the wine is safe, here, he has an extra $20, and he was a mile out of his way. Works for everyone.

I tip when there is extraordinary service.

Great story and approach. I have to remember this.

20% on all wine delivered, of course.

I was making this up as the day went on. One of my more positive traits is thinking on my feet. Can’t read and understand a comic strip to save my life, but this I can do. I was meeting a young new Berserker friend for lunch, and we agreed this was a great solution to my problem.

Yeah, it was my way of saying my UPS driver is pretty low on the service curve.

I’m supposed to tip my UPS guy or Fed Ex guy? For delivering packages? Because after all, their job is . . . delivering packages?

Am I doing something wrong? I don’t tip the autoworkers who made my car, the street sweepers who clean the streets, the check-out clerk who rings up my groceries, or the receptionist who takes my dental appointment.

But if you appreciate the extra level of service in the ‘service’ industry where as you know, shit can happen, is it not wise/nice to show that appreciation, Mr Scrooge? :slight_smile:
When did you become such a wet napkin? You left New York AND New York left you.
:slight_smile:

Really? In my case, the UPS guy definitely goes out his way - I am a single mom with a bad back and there’s no way I could carry all those boxes to my cellar without help. I don’t tip all year, but at holiday time, I do - same as I do with my newspaper delivery person and other service people in my life (trainer, kids’ tutors, etc.). And yes, I also send a holiday basket or something along those lines to my dentist’s office or doctors I see regularly. But I don’t think I am an outlier - seems my friends do the same.

If a delivery person does something out of the ordinary that is not part of his/her job then I can see a small tip. Like others have said I see absolutely no reason to tip someone just because they are doing their job correctly.

George

Maybe think about how many times these guys get completely ripped into for something that’s not their fault; improperly packed at factory, something some loader a thousand miles away did. Any frontline service employee who has to take that kind of abuse and also is in a position to go above and beyond deserves a little something extra, even if it’s just around the holidays.
If never seen a hearse pulling a U-Haul.

UPS is a royal pain in my butt. They will not redirect my packages to a UPS store that is less than a mile from my house. I have to go pick up packages at the customer service location that is almost 20 miles away. I end up racing home on days that I’m expecting a package and praying that I get there in time to receive the package. Of course, if I have to leave my home in the evening they will not show up until 7pm, and if I can’t get home until 4pm, they will attempt delivery at 3:30pm. Fedex has all this figured out and I can pick up my packages at the Fedex office less than a mile away. Why should I tip UPS?

I’ve tried this approach with UPS and been told “we can not redirect alcohol”.

A bit of drift here, but I moved my business 3 years ago to a warehouse with no adequate receiving area. So after a few Berserker Day problems, I just have all delivered to the UPS franchise store 8 blocks from home. I always request an email tracking# and phone# in the address. He makes $5 for a few minutes work. We are both happy. [cheers.gif]