Impressions 4-9-18

I haven’t looked to buy a bottle of Chave in about two decades. I believe that the 96s were about $30-$40, lingering on a shelf.

I don’t see ANY below $100 Sateside, and current vintages are around $300:
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/chave+hermitage+blanc/

If you can find any for 30-dollars, please PM me.

I’m a doctor a don’t do impressions. And don’t call me Shirley [cheers.gif]

As the crow flies, it looks like Tenuta di Sesta [Giovanni Ciacci] is not all that far from Castello di Argiano [Giuseppe Sesti], but apparently you have to drive all the way back into town to get from the one to the other, which makes the trip about 16 miles.
sesti_sesta.png

I like Texier a lot, but my bigger problem will be when Fu starts to get really into the Loire and the Jura. And based on his current palate trajectory, I think we are still about two years away from that. Plenty of time to stock up at reasonable prices.

Let’s keep him focused on the Rhone, where he can spend his big bucks by buying unicorn wines that nobody else can afford except overpriced lawyers. neener

Mid-90s Chave Blanc was about $45-55 on release in my experience. As was the red. My last bottle of ‘94, which I effectively offered to save for Jim if he visits NY, has a $49.95 sticker on it still. That was a lot of money to splurge for Rhône white in 1998, when I bought it.

Jim, great notes, thanks. One question - from somebody’s post somewhere else, I thought the Haut Brion was the blanc? No? Either way, what a weekend!

Fu, If you get back to St. Louis before I drink it, I can open one. Down to my last '99, though, and then I skip to '05.

I think I have about 8 cases of guibertau and a couple cases of Rougeard I’ve been buying on release the last 4-5 years :p. Actually been buying a lot of chenin Blanc lately. Big fan of courault guinechiens.

Michael brought both the 1999 Blanc and Rouge. For some reason the Blanc was not in my notes - I thought it adequate but too oaky. But of course, it’s me saying that.
An embarrassment of riches weekend, but someone has to do it.
Best, Jim

Martin,
I appreciate the kindness.
And I should say that I do not have either the cellar or the money to taste these wines - the vast majority are due to the extraordinary generosity of wonderful friends.
And that too, is a kindness I appreciate.
Best, Jim

Careful what you say - Diane and I have been talking about a weekend in May. More to come . . .
Best, Jim

1996 Chave, Hermitage Rouge - glorious but young; needs more time in the cellar and will reward patience

Jim,

I have a single bottle of the ‘96 and was wondering how many more years you would recommend cellaring it?

Thanks

IMO, a minimum of ten.
Best, Jim

Great notes and some very interesting wines, Jim. Thanks for posting.

So, how do you feel about oak in new world wines? neener

Truth is, old world or new doesn’t much matter to me. I have a very low tolerance for oak in any wine.
Best, Jim