Irancy

2018 - super
2017 - also super but with an obvious oak note 14 months ago
2016 - Irancy only, no Mazelots made, more modest, perfumed, smaller wine with more tannin showing than usual - this was the big hail, hence, just one cuvée
2015 - Less full-shaped than more recent vintages - racy, mineral, also a slug of oak showing when young
2014 - excellent
2012 - super

These do not seem uneasy to find in the US. Thanks for the vintage thoughts!

Irancy, easy to find in the US? Very spotty IMHO. I’ve always thought of it as a strong value French Bistro or Winebar wine. Seen it on a several lists around Paris and don’t remember being disappointed by a glass or bottle (usually in a good mood to begin with). Lots of fun details and pics in this thread!

RT

Bumping up an old thread but this weekend I was in NYC at was glazing over a 24 page wine menu so the Somm came to help us out. He suggested a 2017 Richoux Irancy. At the price point there was not much of a risk so we agreed to give it a go.

I was just getting around to putting my thoughts into CT so I didn’t forget the bottle and stumbled on this older thread so I thought I’d bump it back up.

I am fairly new to Red Burgundy’s but regardless of the region, the fact that this is $26 retail is a bargain for a quality made good wine, period. On the nose very prominent floral and red fruits. The taste was less fruit forward and more mineral/earth driven but in a balanced well. I’d place it more in the medium body/medium finish area. Lastly, and probably most importantly, it paired well with our food and we finished 60-70% of the bottle during the appetizers it was that good! My wife is usually a 1 glass gal but she had her 2nd glass for sure she liked it so much.

Given what is posted up thread and what I’ve read online, I’ll probably be on the hunt for more finds from this region as it seems to be a bit under the radar and likely producing some quality products.

1 Like

I bought it quite a few months ago, if not a year ago from Zachy’s. I believe it was discounted or something as I rarely buy from Zachy’s, buy it was a quick and easy transaction.

Merci …Sir William and Robert.

Very happy to report that the 2015 Irancy Les Cailles just released by SAQ, n Quebec, Canada at CAD49.75 per 750 ml.

1 Like

Given the ripeness of 2015 in nearby regions, I’d guess that 2015 is a strong vintage in Irancy. Just a guess, though.

Yes - I agree totally regarding the comments of a ripe vintage for 2015 red.

We are lucky to have this wine here as we (up-North) seldom get any break. I will buy for the following reasons : : (1) the price is excellent and just right as the price for red burgundy is going up through the roof for the last 12 to 16 months in Quebec, Canada; (2) according to Sarah K.- Thierry Richoux is Irancy; (3) 2016 is a natural low-yield and Richoux only produced one wine for vintage 2016 - out of the normal 4; (3) the general character of vintage year 2017 should not be as good as the general character vintage year 2015 - to match the style of Richoux wines; (4) I am not sure of anything regarding Richoux 2018…; plus (5) I just finished reading Page 190 of J.Morris - Inside Burgundy Edition 2.

That being said, it will be a first for me to have a red from near Chablis - which is too far north of Charmes-Chambertin and/or Gevrey-Chambert. I will cross my finger and hope I am right… [wink.gif]

****Earlier this year I served Thierry Richoux’s 2003 Irancy Veaupessiot blind to some Belgian friends after a Roumier Amoureuses. They thought it was a very serious Charmes-Chambertin. ****

*Thierry Richoux Irancy 2009. Brought back from the domaine a week ago by my brother. Color very light red, nice evolution. On the nose, light red fruit, bit of pomegranate and meat. More in direction of Gevrey-Chambertin. On the palate, not super lengthy, but already nicely integrated tannins. Price quality excellent (around 15 Eur). Goes to show that you can find some treasures outside the cote d’or. Irancy of dauvissat family made by same producer.

I also really like David Renaud Irancy + David Renaud Irancy ‘les Mazelots’

Goisot also make a very nice Les Mazelots.

Thanks for the messages - J.Morris talked about Goisot and Renard too. I will on the look-out…

Happy to report that the SAQ just released Richoux - Irancy Veaupsssiot 2017 at the same price as Les Cailles at CAD 49.75 per 750 ml.

Drinking the base bottling of Richoux 2017 right now, damn its lovely! I will definitely be grabbing the Les Cailles and Veaupessiot cuvées!

Merci…I did load-up for the 2015 Les Cailles one week ago. As I was not aware that SAQ would also release the 2017 Veaupessiot.

I just ordered 2 of 2017 Veaupsssiot on-line and will try one asap… [cheers.gif]

Oh cool, looking forward to seeing those notes!

I really liked the 2015 base domaine as well.

Robert…I ordered 26 bottles of Les Cailles 2015 on-line. It came in 6 bottles case.

As soon as I received this order, I opened one bottle. The aromas was expressive for about 15 minutes and then started to retreat just a little bite.The palate was structure but smooth with no rustic at all. I could sensed there were lots of stuffing hidden behind and wishing to jump-out - unlike any generic bourgogne.
I am sure it was the vintage 2015 was speaking to me. I know Richoux releases their wines 2 years late but now for 2015 …it is amazing. So without any hesitation, I load-up more cases of 2015 due FOMO.

As I am new to Irancy so my comments are not that reliable but one thing is very certain, the 2015 Richoux Irancy Les Cailles will developed into be a better wine that my purchase - years ago in 2008-2009 - of the 97 bottles of Audoin-Marsannay-La Charme aux Prêtres 05 (1119-8745 $37.50).

I need to sale my dog if the 2017 Veaupissiot is good as the 2015 Les Cailles.

Ha. Is your dog that desirable? Good luck Peter with that. As for these Richoux Irancy, a few years may reward the patient. Be patient grasshopper.

The 2017s are suppler, more fragrant and more sensual than the more concentrated, structured 2015s - even if Vaupessiot is the most structured wine in the Richoux range (it contains the most César).

Merci William. Your comments will help to make my decision. So I will definitely add more than 2 bottles of 2017 for enjoyment and wait until 2025 to start drinking the 2015 earnestness.

SAQ has more than 500 bottles on-line. It is good news and I will keep any eyes on available stock and look for a discount.

Thanks for the advice. Yes - Master I will listen [worship.gif] . With burgundy red, I always have patient …

Regarding my dog, since I need money will buy 2017 I will ask my wife for a loan - as I bought too many bottles of the 2015 Richoux Irancy Les Cailles.