Irish Whiskey Thread

Marshall I just finished my Green Spot. It was really good, quite easy to drink. I replaced it with the Yellow. I will let you know how it goes. Pretty excited about it.

Haven’t had many Irish whiskey’s, but liked the few I had. All were about 80 proof. I am a Bourbon drinker and prefer high proofs, especially single barrel cask strengths. Didn’t really care for this at all, much more Scotch-like than the others that I have tried. Not very smooth for a 12 year old whiskey. A bit rough around the edges, but didn’t mind that, just an observation.

Teeling was a highlight of last year’s Dublin trip. Just bought another bottle of single grain yesterday. Small batch is easy to find around here.

Had two pours last weekend commemorating my head-in collision two years ago. I sorta lived thru it.
0D2CB53F-B9EA-4CC1-A60E-D051DFBCAD1E.jpeg

I’m a recent convert to Irish whiskey, much preferring it to Bourbon or Scotch/single malts, which I often find too oaky or peat
smokey for my tastes.

I recently had a bottle of Yellow Spot but didn’t feel that it deserved the premium over Redbreast or Green Spot.

I’ve tasted the RedBreast a few months back. It’s not bad. [wink.gif]
The other styles offered taste good too. I own the 12 year old. Come east for a pour.

dh

I generally prefer Irish Whiskey at 12 yrs or younger. My favorite Irish of all time was the original Green Spot, made exclusively for Mitchell & Son in Dublin. It was likely a 7 year old. Not at all the same as that which is now produced by Jameson and widely available.

I’m not at all a fan of Yellow Spot or Red Spot. Redbreast 12 is too variable to my liking, although I’ve had better luck with the cask strength version. I do not like Redbreast 15 or 21, the latter being a posterchild for overaged, woody whiskey. Shockingly, Redbreast 32 Dream Cask is much fresher and less woody/astringent than Redbreast 21. I was prepared to hate 32 Dream Cask when I tasted it a year ago, and was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. Unfortunately, it was a single, cherry cask that sold in 500ml bottles for $600+, if you could even find it.

Currently, I’m a fan of Writers Tears. It is tangy and delicious. And reasonably priced. For premium, my preference is Power’s Johns Lane; although there is significant batch variation.

My eldest son became fond of Irish whiskies since he spent a couple of weeks vacation in Ireland in the summer of 2018. These are what we usually keep on hand at home.
7A1FB7B3-6222-48F7-B56F-6D02E4D5880A.jpeg

Red breast 12 cask strength is one of my favorites.

I like it too; but I really have to cut it. Was quite pleasantly surprised how fresh its fruit/citrus notes were when I first tried it a little over a year ago.

I’ve had their single malt; but not in the past year. I asked my eldest son (who is more into Irish whisky than I). He said, compared to Redbreast 12 (regular) & 15, the Teeling Single Malt is more savory, spicier, not as creamy/round/full-bodied. He likes it though; and still keeps some of it at home.

I feel like Irish Whiskey threads tend to begin and end with Redbreast (unfortunately). Good stuff, no doubt, but there are so many others. Some others I enjoy are Powers, Tyrconnell Sherry Cask Finish, and Glendalough.

I did about a year ago. Unfortunately I don’t remember anything specific, except I liked it. A restaurant we frequent is managed by someone from Ireland, and it’s his favorite.

I’ve had very many, a lot in Ireland, and a number at home. I’d have to dig through my photos for the ones in Ireland. In Ireland or in Manila, though, other than those I keep (or, rather, my eldest keeps) at home, I have virtually no tasting notes. Mainly, that’s because I tend to get plastered when I’m drinking them in pubs/bars (chased with pints of Irish stout most all the time).

Below are some bottles my eldest, I and a Welsh-Irish friend have gone through in his bar.
70EFE46B-761E-4FCB-B58A-77FB98DD2590.jpeg
5D2E2085-0ABC-481C-AB34-8A55ADE07B63.jpeg
DCAD7924-CC67-4A0C-BC26-559A27491115.jpeg
9E3BDF50-657C-49F0-9139-1F71C18D1788.jpeg
8B8B7072-540D-405A-9048-B4AB35629F6B.jpeg
8DE88AD7-78A0-4DFF-B5C5-DD8F941B95CE.jpeg

LMD, how’d you like the Wild Geese? I have not seen that one before.

Hi, Brian. I can’t remember that much; but, what I do recall is that I thought it to be “neither here nor there” despite it being talked up as being multiple award winning (I was offered a glass by my Welsh-Irish friend who manages the restaurant/bar). It came off to me as an atypical Irish whisky undecided if it wanted to be generally savory/spicy/citrusy or sweetish/creamy/vanilla pastry. Some can pull it off well. This one, for me, didn’t well enough to make me want to buy a bottle (so I never did).

From the recently concluded Ardbeggeddon XXI, the 21st annual gathering of the clan:

A couple of 1950’s distillates. Both very good.
14FD94AB-BD4D-4BE5-B63F-6EAB66818D58.jpeg
5CDABC76-03CA-485F-809A-E361B349204D.jpeg
And an excellent Jameson Distillery Reserve 12 year old, available only at the distillery. This one was bottled in the very early 2000’s.
3886B7F8-2778-4C46-B9ED-EBF4527E8B25.jpeg

Cool bottles Mark, thanks for sharing.

We just picked up Glendalough, all single malt/single grain, Pot Still, and finished in a unique 2nd cask, Irish Whiskey, was a little late setting them up, so missed out on their 13 year Mizunara finish and their 7 year finished in Black Pitts Porter barrels.

Revisited the Teeling Single Malt. Nose spicier than I remember. Svelte, fresh, not very deep or concentrated, quite lifted, bit of sugary sweetness to the alcohol/spice bite past mid-palate, that drops off as it starts its finish. Not bad, though nothing great. Pleasant sipper; but nothing serious. That all said, at its remarkably cheap price, it has its place in one’s bar.

• Edited typo.
    D259EE81-FB41-4B41-B473-F063BFDD776F.jpeg

so the current green spot is not worth getting? haven’t gotten in a while and loved the style. but perhaps i was tasting the “new” style and my taste is shite?