Is Cristal now a grower champagne?

How much of this can they do before they can no longer call it Domaine?

Even Prevost is buying grapes now though…

1 Like

In such cases, they don’t call it domaine any more.

2 Likes

Ah, ok - I thought you were suggesting it was like Napa “Cabernet”. That’s what I thought, like Fourrier’s Bourgogne, for which he now buys some of the grapes.

Prevost still labels as an NM on those though. The house is a negociant even if they are sole proprietors on a vineyard.

These examples are why we as champagne drinkers need to start moving past grower=good, negoce=less good. There’s more freedom that can happen as an NM for some producers while others will choose to use the Bio-D or RM or whatever other labels/certifications that they want.

Always found them to be more of a shower than a grower.

1 Like

I see the point you are trying to make, but I think that Lecaillon has both sincerely and also very shrewdly decided to emphasize the quality of the wine and the work behind it above all else, rather than branding. What Roederer is doing in the vineyards is really impressive. In fact, the 2012 Cristal is the first vintage produced from organically farmed grapes (which might have been what the Wine Enthusiast note was getting at, in a roundabout sort of way).

3 Likes

I think we should just be looking at the quality of the work, from the vineyard to the glass.

5 Likes

I will mention to my friends that they can’t refer to it as “stripper juice” anymore then :wink: I understand what you’re saying; to me the distinction of “grower” and “house” is a lot about branding, and I suppose Cristal hasn’t been trying to sell me enough wine by advertising their vineyard work!

This makes the most sense (as expected from William). I believe the legal definition of grower (RM) and negociant (NM) is what should determine how we refer to them, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t have quality NMs and mediocre RMs.

I drank the 2012 last night. Maybe the best Cristal ever made. Jaw dropping good!!

1 Like

Not really, but this stellar bubbly does grow on one.

completely agree. It’s why in the past couple of years I’ve done my best to look past what worked in the lexicon a decade ago and focus on what’s actually in the glass

while it doesn’t necessarily apply to this thread or roederer, I’ve made it a point to distinguish someone who does a more handcrafted approach as a small house rather than just focusing on whether they are an NM or RM

It’s a no for me for reasons made above, but I think it’s impressive they moved to all domaine fruit for such a large operation. Then again, I’m sure they have the capital and leverage to do all that, so perhaps a logical endpoint for them.

I believe Cristal has been made solely from estate owned fruit since its beginnings in the 19th century. The 2012 Cristal Blanc was the first that was from 100% biodynamically farmed vineyards. The Cristal Rose has been 100% biodynamic since the 2007 vintage.

3 Likes

I have been impressed by recent and not so recent Cris. Tried to start a thread about it. Really moving up.

Had it 2 weeks ago and agree.

The brute nature stark is also a single biodynamic vineyard & a great value. Cristal is often compared to other tête de cuvées with massive production but they are small in comparison. By far my fav of the famous houses. To the original question, a couple people on this thread could probably ask them directly if they consider themselves grower champagne.

Grower or Negociant really doesn’t matter. I agree with William when he says ‘I think we should just be looking at the quality of the work, from the vineyard to the glass.’

Without even getting into the winemaking, would you rather drink a wine made from 100% estate vineyards that are full of vines with little root depth, picked too early, over-cropped, and sprayed with every chemical imaginable? Or, would you rather drink a wine made from well-farmed and cared for vines picked at the optimum time that happen to be purchased (and even managed/cared for) by the negociant winemaking party?

4 Likes